Help with Computer!

Hey guys, I need some help with this piece of junk I got from my uncle. So my computer is just a box of wood I would say it could run Minecraft on tiny and all the options off and ace of spades. I wonder if I could do some upgrades to it without spending more than $100 dollars so it could at least play some decent fps games.
Specs:

System Information

Time of this report: 11/17/2012, 18:21:58
Machine name: OWNER-8A9629830
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_qfe.120504-1617)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Computer Corporation
System Model: OptiPlex GX260
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.80GHz
Memory: 1278MB RAM
Page File: 790MB used, 2262MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Display Devices

Card name: Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller
 Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
    Chip type: Intel(R) 82845G Graphics Controller
     DAC type: Internal
 Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor

Sound Devices

Description: SoundMAX Digital Audio

Default Sound Playback: Yes
Default Voice Playback: Yes

Drive: C:
Free Space: 0.7 GB
Total Space: 19.1 GB
File System: NTFS
Model: WDC WD200EB-00CSF0

Drive: D:
  Model: LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1693S

That computer is slightly better than mine. I fail to see the problem.

You can definitely run most (if not all) visual novels on that, as well as Touhou.
That’s probably good for watching 720p anime as well.

Better than mine, look for RAM upgrades and a better graphics card

Hope this helps Tae!

Run Linux off of it, that’s what I do on the school computers which are ~half as bad as that one. But that does require some technical thinking.

What I do is just have a copy on a flashdrive, and when I start the computers at school I start from the flash, thus it runs Linux. I’d say I get about 60-75% performance increase. Windows = bad for bad computers.

Oh, that’s all free by the way.

Get more RAM, I don’t think you can upgrade your GFX card because it seems to be integrated.

It’s replaceable :smiley:

Some older computers are crappily built and don’t actually have room to physically stick a graphics card in the box.
Same goes with RAM, you can only have so much that the computer can support (# of slots and maximum RAM per slot).

Old computers (like mine) also lack the ability to boot from flash drive. You can try booting from a CD or a floppy, but that’s just unwieldy.

I wanted to do a upgrade so I could play Combat Arms which I use to play on old laptop before it broke :frowning:
Any suggestions on what parts to buy and or a new computer case for the parts to actually fit in the tower

From what I see, you lack RAM, hard drive space, processor power, and a graphics card. Judging from what you gave, your computer was probably built in 2005 or 2006. It’s better to invest your money for a new computer than to upgrade it especially for a game such as Combat Arms and if the computer is more than 5 years old. If you want I found you a $800 Dell computer with 1 TB, 16 GB RAM, an AMD card (AMD sucks but better than nothing), and a i7 3.4 Ghz processor.

I’m interested into where you found that computer, AEM. 800$ for that? What are the drawbacks? Or did the standard suddenly nearly double in strength since August?

Sure just send me a link :stuck_out_tongue:

Maybe you should look for cool deals on Newegg in light of Black Friday…

That’s a good point, Reki.

Have you tried downloading more ram? http://www.downloadmoreram.com/

Downloading RAM
Froelich, I thought you were smarter than that, you can’t download RAM!

Torrents are the way to go! The Demonoid 8GB one is dead now, I think, but I heard a 16GB one will come out soon. I’ll be sure to let you know and seed for you.

You could use it. I mean you might have to get a copy of windows 7 or windows 7 ultimate. (could get one free I know where to get some) here is what you can do. You can either format the hard drive, but its still 19gig. I would get a new hard disk drive. your RAM is fine 12gigs is great! The average RAM people have is 4GB’s 4 is for people that play games. 8 is for people that do HD rendering and some 3D rendering. anyhigher is for HD games. So the problem here is your CPU and your HDD. So I recomend you get a new HDD they are cheap right now. you could either get a new HDD or a SDD, HDD has more space and is cheaper, an SDD or a Solid State Drive is fast over space. An SDD is a flash memory based storage unit, its just like a flash drive. So if you can get both thats great, if you get both use the SDD for your operating system and the HDD for your games. or the other way around for fast games. If you get the SDD you also need an adapter to connect it to the computer, and you need a copy of windows 7/Windows 7 ultimate/or Win8 if you want. I don’t advise win 8 because of combatability issues.

Here is a system scanner for your motherboard. it will match HDD’s and SDDs HDD’s are cheap right now. Crucial System Scanner | Memory Upgrade Scanner | Crucial

what you need to do is get a new HDD and a copy of windows OS, and just run your new computer. Contact me on skype or in a PM for more help skype:
killer999742

[b]MY BAD I read your RAM wrong. you can get more ram from the scanner too. Its cheap on cruical. Thats where I buy my RAM.

SO you need more ram also[/b]

I think instead of buying new parts why not just build a new computer.
I’ve seen people make $500 gaming computers and I wonder if you guys can also. Might need windows 7 but I’ll get that on my own. I was planning on buying an Alienware x51 but just see all the parts I thinks it’s a rip off. So hopefully some of you can pick out parts for me, I do twang to play battlefield and all that I just wan to play some fps games (Combat Arms & Ace of Spades) and some steam games and just recording while playing would be awesome also. Thanks

I usually use this Dutch website that compiles budget pc’s with components that work nice together.
In the november’s best buy guide it has a budgetgaming pc for $540. No doubt you can find cheaper ones in the older guides which, logically, have slightly older components that still might work as you wish.

The $540 system:

Processor: Intel Pentium G860 Boxed $73.77
Motherboard: Asrock B75M-DGS $64.39
Memory: Corsair CMV4GX3M2A1333C9 $24.19
Hard disk: Western Digital Blue WD5000AAKX, 500GB $67.64
Graphics card: Club3D Radeon HD 7850 royalQueen $199.60
Casing: Sharkoon MS140 $45.83
Power supply: Antec VP350P $41.75
Optical drive: LG GH24NS90 Zwart $20

This is a complete system’and just one of the endless possibilites. Of course it can be made cheaper if you have old components that you can use (optical drive, power supply) or find a cheaper graphics card etc. I’m pretty sure websites like this, that compile systems for you, can also be found in the US or everwhere.

favicon.ico

1351684049.jpeg

Wow, Thanks I think I will look into buying those parts. I do have a optical drive so I think I’ll save more money to buy windows 7, Thanks Drebbs

Edit: I think I will buy all the parts on Newegg but I’m having trouble finding some of the parts listed I wonder if there are any other ones that do the same thing for the same price or something.

Newegg is good too. And you can just simply get a free copy of windows 7, even Win 7 ultimate off ThePirateBay.se

I really wouldn’t trust an OS from a torrent site, in terms of virus/keylogger possibilities.

That is wrong. I could direct you to one. I have gotten a Windows 7 Ultimate OS. It worked fine. Trust me, how ever some antivirus systems think they are viruses because of the hacktools to activate them. That is completely wrong. I got my hands on a Windows 7 Anytime upgrade key and I installed it. then all of a sudden it said Windows is not genuine. And I found an activator to fix that simple. All this from http://thepiratebay.se/