Do you Script/Code

How many of you guys do? What languages are you guys familiar with?

I myself, have done some modding work with .xml and am somewhat familiar with java. Never really tried python…

i can code in Java, Python, C++, C#, HTML w/ CSS, Javascript/jQuery, and a bit of PHP.

personally i don’t like Python. i understand they’re trying to make the syntax easier to understand but everything feels really open-ended when they’re not using this like main() and semicolons.

Jesus. Java, Python, and HTML aren’t as difficult to master (what I can code) but you have a pretty solid state in coding. You should code for a part time job.

Why aren’t you a software engineer?! How old are you?!?!

I’m pretty sure there is a fine line to being knowledgeable in coding and being a software engineer. Most jobs offering this would probably require a degree (unless CraftDinur has one, idk_). But he can do great as someone who does it as a part time job.

Currently in AP Computer science for school; We’re learning Java.

i don’t even consider HTML to be a programming language due to how simple it is. in high-school i used to make websites for people and charge them $10 bucks an hour for 7 hour shifts per day. i would finish the site around the second day and keep it on my computer for about a week to make a nice amount of money.

i’m 18 years old studying computer science and business. just went to university this year. i have considered making video games as a living when i was a kid but the more you grow older you realize how much of a stressful job programming can be and how little money you make. i like programming though which is why i’m taking computer science but i’m a pretty greedy person so i’m taking business as well so i can make lots of money :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s what I’m taking next year. Same course as you(learning Java), though I’ll be ahead of the game as I already know most of it :smiley:

i’m 18 years old studying computer science and business. just went to university this year. i have considered making video games as a living when i was a kid but the more you grow older you realize how much of a stressful job programming can be and how little money you make. i like programming though which is why i’m taking computer science but i’m a pretty greedy person so i’m taking business as well so i can make lots of money :stuck_out_tongue:
[/quote]
Damn. I heard UT Dallas has a great software engineering program so that is where I plan to go. What university are you attending?

A bit derailed and also a bit of a downer comment, but I know some people who majored in business only to come out jobless since the market demand for business isn’t very high these days. And from the looks of it, things don’t look much better in the next few years, so you might want to start thinking about what to do if being a businessman doesn’t pan out.

Then again, I live in 'Murrika, so IDK how badly we’re just choking ourselves and jerking off with our invisible hand of economics.

Well business is one of the only career paths that make insane amounts of money and if you are too afraid to try you’ll probably never even get the slightest chance to experience this type of fortune.

@Josh I live in Canada and I’m going to the University of Waterloo

In 'Murrika, especially where I live (NY), good luck getting ANY job opportunities as a graduate in business.

Well… Lets how many I can name (I can’t remember all of them):
FreeBASIC, JustBASIC, QBASIC, Python, Quby, Ruby, GML, PHP, JavaScript (I hate this language), Dart, Java, C# (my fav language <3), VisualBasic (worst language ever), C++, C, Assembly (oh gosh I still have nightmares), Lua, and if you consider HTML + CSS languages then those too.

But yeah, I just no life on the computer.

I mainly use Java and C# (they the best).

BTW that is 17 languages 19 if you count HTML and CSS.

I can Brainfuck.

@CraftDinur: You sound like my friend who wants to develop a game. I’m majoring in medical and minoring in computer science.

Random comment: I find it interesting hackers use Lua to create spyware and such when it’s usually used for gaming.

If you’re looking for an awesome language to try you should try LOLCODE. it’s pretty funny and you can actually put it into practical use due to the fact that its basically JavaScript except with a lot of LOL.

I once wrote a very popular LOLCODE tutorial. Got deleted by the admins of the forum I put it on for spam :slight_smile:

Fail, I just noticed it was still up :slight_smile:

http://tnbforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=136&t=6641

LOLPython is better.

Saaaaaaame thing.

I’m pretty sure LOLCode is based off of Javascript.

EDIT: CraftDinur, try this out: Want to Run Code on the ISS? There's a Competition For That

[quote author=SF141GenJosh link=topic=1244.msg10505#msg10505 date=1348537542]

That’s what I’m taking next year. Same course as you(learning Java), though I’ll be ahead of the game as I already know most of it :smiley:

Cool! I’m going into it with not much knowledge, but it’s really easy to pick up (so far) I really enjoy the class, though it’s got a lot of work load, like a lot of a lot. lol