Why is this game dead?

WHY COMIC SANS!?
Also, the game is not really dead. I mean, sure, the community is as big as F-ZERO’s, but we make at least a mod everyday, which means that the community is still alive and going. If you think that it’s dead, go ahead. But personally, I think that it’s not THAT dead.

Alright, lets put debating whether this game is dead aside, I am sure all of you can admit that we, the BuildandShoot community, are doing something wrong.
So whats going wrong?

We being a community. That’s the thing.

Lincent is comical he’s allowed to use comic sans.

I don’t think we’re the problem, Lincent. It’s the fact that we are trying to keep a game that hasn’t been updated for 4 years alive. There’s virtually nothing we can do except:

1. Try to develop a successor to the game

Sure, it’s possible. But there would be a lot of complications of how close it is to AoS, which Jagex could sue us by having similarities if they’re feeling dickish enough. Also, being community-developed, we would have to heavily rely on one another which is tough to do, especially since the community is so little and is dying.

2. Harass Try to convince Jagex to update the game vastly / Make them give the rights back to Ben

The Ace of Spades Steam forums have already tried as hard as they could to get Jagex to update the game on Steam and failed miserably, since there’s only about 5 active members of the community there. Trying to get them to give the rights back to Ben is almost impossible, as he signed a contract with them and chances are they haven’t even contacted him since mid-2013, when he left.

3. Advertise the game a lot and try to get big YouTuber influence

Although this may seem really hard to do, it is still possible. Suggesting this game (OpenSpades, of course) to big YouTubers could have a positive effect, especially if we try get rid of a lot of in-game trolls, griefers, and hackers. Also, like I am doing, making a YouTube account and uploading decent-quality gameplay could help advertise the game, since you’re getting the game out there more.

4. Become a confident community again

I have noticed surprisingly that the Ace of Spades Classic/Build and Shoot community is awfully hard on themselves, just because the game is dying. It’s inevitable that the game was going to die off, but the community is acting like it’s their own fault by saying it’s a garbage community, etc… But look around! OpenSpades was a community-made project which rejuvenated Ace of Spades Classic! That shows that the community truly cares about the game! No community is quite like the BnS community; no other community I have ever heard of has been able to make an entire clone of a game, only better, all by themselves. We really have to stop acting so glum, especially on the BnS forums. Although the game may be dying ever so slowly, the community should still stand up straight and be extremely proud of themselves.

The build and shoot community is not us, we’re the aloha community… unless you play on random non-aloha servers too :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyways, Ace of Spades Classic is for sure not dead, there are active players on babel and cs maps every day, about 64 just from these 2 servers.
It’s also recovering amazingly from the decrease in players in 2015, and more players are returning from the old days.

Like I said above, there’s been a steady increase on players, if you look at the server list at all… more people are returning and with that, more dead aloha servers are becoming increasingly populated.

One more thing then i’ll be done… Ace of Spades doesn’t need a new version of the game or a clone because it’s already an incredible game that was mean’t to be a mix between Minecraft and CoD and people like it the way it is, right now the only problems with the game I see is a slight lag issues and hackers, but other than that it’s a simply spectacular game.

What we’re doing wrong is that we’re not forcing enough people at gunpoint to stop them from growing out of static entertainment.

you guys are crazy all we need to do is get ben to come back
ezpz

I agree with A White Guy.

no, we’re not ISIS.

Guys, as if Fapex is gonna give us the rights back. We would have to go through legal crap and all that jazz.

No, it isn’t ‘ezpz’. Seriously, Ben really doesn’t care about us. Why should we wait for him to rescue us? Just learn how to code, work with voxlap or any other voxel engine and make your own bleeding game.

He’s being sarcastic since this topic has been beaten down so much (much like AcetheKing!)

Actually, ISIS would probably ban entertainment before people grew out of it.

You guys overlook that the problems all seem to lie on the server hosters.
Hackers? Aloha.pk has this script http://aloha.pk/index.php?topic=7665.0 to warn only.

and lets not mention that I only just published this script again, and aloha.pk had it for 4 years.
If there is any solution to this it is to improve upon this script, or to create a similar one.

Fine. You want to discuss problems, okay. One of the problems we face is all the keyboard warriors saying, “AoS is dying! Oh noes… golly gee wiz… whatever can we do? We need someone to fix this broken game!” Well, that’s the thing: everyone keeps complaining that we need someone to start coding, but no one here (afaik) knows how to code. No one actually gets up off their butt and says, “well, hey. I want to put my time and energy into pleasing a small, fringe community of (what seems to me) mostly teenagers.” Why would anyone with programming experience invest their time into this game rather than work on something that can benefit themselves? I had suggested to start a crowdfunding campaign to support people developing AoS, OS, or something else, but it never caught on.

If you ask me, the community is fine. More players would be nice, but we don’t need any more players. It’s already been mentioned that we have ~100 people. Why do you need any more? What is your real problem with this game? If you’re yearning to play other game modes, the answer is to post a thread asking if anyone wants to play. Set something up. Take charge. Hackers? Every game has them. Sure, they’re a nuisance and there aren’t enough admins around all the time to deal with them, but big whoop. The vast majority of the time it’s easy enough to avoid them. If not, join another server or play another game.

Bottom line: you can keep complaining AoS is dying or hacking is rampant, but it doesn’t solve anything. It only serves to further keep us down.

Babel and Hallway are the only available ones because they’re populated, not (imo) because there’s anything inherently “fun” about them. Other gamemodes can be just as or many times even more “fun”. Like I said, set something up. Start a thread with a gamemode, map, etc. and ask if people would be interested. Or have a vote on a gamemode of the day.

ok then do that instead of posting here

the reason it’s set to only warn/kick for certain things is because it produces false positives

1. Old players are getting back like me ( so community isnt dieng)
  2. Shut Up .
  3. Hackers are everywhere , even in minecraft . Still minecraft is so popular , so hackers arent the problem.
  4. The problem is this game needs more advertising idk someone made a long long reply and that mentioned these words too.
  5. Shut up again .
    -DemonSlash

I agree with Demon here, except points #2 and #5.
DAT’S ROOD.

YOu and your rudeness lololol I am demonslash not cuteslash!

Actually lock the thread 4ever

WHY AM I BANNED FROM ALOHAPK WHAT I DID LOL