melchips (SMGNoob) ban appeal

1. Votekicks last only 30 minutes. Did you wait at least 30 minutes to make sure your “ban” is not just a votekick?
    I waited about one day and my client still reports the error message box with “banned”.

2. What is your in-game player name? Please include it in the subject of this topic as well.
    My player name is now melchips but before yesterday, I was playing under the name of SMGNoob (I was a noob with smg, not with semi which is my weapon of choice).
    I changed my nickname just before the game, because I wanted to build a good reputation with my main nickname, e.g. melchips.
    That’s a bad start, isn’t it ? XD

3. What server were you playing on when you got banned? Reminder: We can only help you with bans that took place on aloha.pk servers.
    aloha.pk tower of babel

4. Why were you banned? Lying severely decreases your chances of getting unbanned. If your “little brother” got you banned, tell him to make an appeal, or accept responsibility on his behalf.
    I have no clue. At the moment of the ban, I was trying to slim down the ennemy tower by shooting blocks with my semi.
    I haven’t seen any votekick just before the ban, even if a few players called me ‘hacker’ (as usual during my game sessions), or tying to votekick me two times earlier in the game.
    I wasn’t in any way cheating.
    Usually I am playing this game through wine under GNU/Linux but this time I had to reboot to play under Windows (to download games from steam, maybe there was some lag spikes caused by the downloads).
    On my Windows box, the only modification to the client was the installation of Modloader (which I don’t use normally under GNU/Linux).
    In the logs of Modloader, I just see near the end :
    : melchips is disabled from killing
    I can provide Modloader logs if they can be useful…

5. Why should you be unbanned?
    aloha.pk are my favorite servers. I can play there for hours (especially to the babel mode).
    I love helping my teamates whether with attacking the ennemy’s tower or with building bridges.
    I try to keep teams balanced and I don’t hesitate to switch team if the other one seems disadvantaged.
    I wish i’ll have the chance to play again on aloha servers, because I have spent very good time on it.

6. When were you banned? Best approximate date and time, please.
    the 05th january 2013 around 20:30 UTC

Hello there melchips. I was the admin who banned you. This is really odd because I suspected SmgNoob to be hacking but I gave up on him after a certain time. Pretty suprising that you were melchips. Anyways, I banned you for ESP and Aimbot.

Hi, colorpinpoint.

Thanks you for answering.

I am really surprised because I don’t hack. I don’t need to.
I remember playing against you and you were very good.
Usually good players I am playing with, can tell the difference between me and a hacker.

I consider myself as a good player, using any hack would remove all the fun I have to play.

I can vouch for SMGNoob. I’ve played against him before and hes indeed are very skillful player. Actually at the time, i think we were playing against a hacker, but couldn’t neither of us could find an admin. Anyways best of luck mate!

You’ve played against me before? I find that very hard to belive because I haven’t used “Colorpinpoint” ingame in months. Also, I’m currently uploading the video of you now

EDIT:

At about 0.58 You started aiming at DE while he was behind a hill. Mind explaining how you knew he was there?

@WindSpirit :
Thanks a lot for your support WindSpirit, see you on the 1337 Stormwind Server :wink:

@colorpinpoint:
Your nickname sounds familiar to me (I didn’t know you were admin until today, I remember you because I suspected you to be a hacker XD).
It was on november 2012 I think.

For information, I played a few days ago (the 3rd january) on the Komrades server against KomradeWyvern (my nick was SMGNoob).
Hopefully, he may be able tell you a little about the legitimity of my skills.

@colorpinpoint
Sorry I replied without noticing your edit.

First, I was behind cover trying to shoot builders that were almost ready to get to the intel.
Slighty before shooting I noticed a green player on my right.
I remember that I wanted to shoot those builders because they were almost to the intel, so they were my top priority (that’s why I tried later to get to the side of the ennemy tower to try to slow down their advance).
Usually, if I have a target in mind, I don’t leave it, even if I have tracers around me.
After I reloaded and got cover behind the wall, I decided to shoot that guy to keep firing at the builders without being fired at.
Turns out I got a grenade from above and died.

Hmmm…I looked at that one section of the video and made the following observations.

[tr]
[td]0:56 - 0:57[/td]
[td]Hide behind wall. By this point, you’ve already seen DE and the other builders on the map.[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]0:58 - 0:59[/td]
[td]Turned gun away from target to look towards the right side
[/td][/tr]
[tr]
[td]0:59 - 1:00[/td]
[td]Look to where DE appeared to be, but your gun wasn’t directly focused on him (a tiny bit off to the right).[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]1:01 - 1:03[/td]
[td]While DE was still behind the hill, you focused your gun straight on him for these few seconds. Not even a pixel off.[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]1:03 - 1:04[/td]
[td]DE appears from behind the hill and you start shooting at him moments after.[/td]
[/tr]

The little segment from 1:01 to 1:03 was what was suspicious, everything else looks fine to be honest.
Your explanation makes sense for everything else that happened.

@Reki
Thanks for taking the time analysing the action.

See my comments below in blue and bold :
0:56 - 0:57 Hide behind wall. By this point, you’ve already seen DE and the other builders on the map.
0:58 - 0:59 Turned gun away from target to look towards the right side to make sure nobody could shoot me from the side
0:59 - 1:00 Look to where DE appeared to be, but your gun wasn’t directly focused on him (a tiny bit off to the right).
1:00 - 1:01 I was looking first at the right side of the hill and then at the left side (and a little more left) to check for possible ennemy players, getting sightly too much out of cover
1:01 - 1:03 While DE was still behind the hill, you focused your gun straight on him for these few seconds. Not even a pixel off.
I usually aim where there is more probability from them to come out (sometimes I change my focus point to others probable locations).
That way I have not much movement to do to aim at the player if he’s popping out and I am way quicker too.
At that time, I didn’t know if he was still there, so I stayed for a few seconds just in case (i focused my aim on the last spot I saw him).
This time I was right, but usually I am just covering empty spaces for nothing XD

1:03 - 1:04 DE appears from behind the hill and you start shooting at him moments after.

If you look at the video closely (make it full screen and burst play it with the spacebar to see it frame-by-frame),you’ll notice that you weren’t staying still with your aim, relative to the surrounding things. It seems unlikely that you’d be able to move your view exactly to match the movements of DE, but I suppose such things can reasonably happen out of luck every now and then.

I’ll take some time to look at other parts of the video later, and let’s see what Color has to say about your explanation.

If you look at the video closely (make it full screen and burst play it with the spacebar to see it frame-by-frame),you'll notice that you weren't staying still with your aim, relative to the surrounding things. It seems unlikely that you'd be able to move your view exactly to match the movements of DE, but I suppose such things can reasonably happen out of luck every now and then.
I don't know what's causing the jumps on the video but in reality I wasn't moving like that. It may be related to some lag or sync issues (if you look closely, everything is shifted by the same amount of distance relatively to the ground).

To analyse better what is suspicious to you, I’ve uploaded two videos based on Colorpinpoint one.

On the videos I have added a red line (3 pixels wide) at the center to see better where I am aiming and added also a frame counter :

The second video is an extract on the part around 1:01 - 1:03 with slow motion added :

Sorry for the awful compression added automatically by youtube.

I hope this will help you see I wasn’t using any cheats.

I do vouch for SMGnoob.
I have seen him play on the Komrade server many times and have been asked to check him just as many.
He has fairly good gamesense and I do not believe he uses wallhacks despite this vid.
He couldn’t quite match me when I played against him last and I was insanely tired.
Tis all up to Color tho

Ok after thinking and looking at the evidence, I see that lag may have been a factor. At the time it did not seem like it was a factor but in the video it seemed like it. I see that the your story checks out and I will unban you, if you were hacking, next time you won’t have a chance to appeal. Please don’t make me regret it.

@Wyvern
Thanks for your support Wyvern. It was nice of you playing with us even if you were very very tired.
It’s always interesting playing against good players that adapt their level to yours.
That really helps leveling up instead of being crushed like crazy XD.

@colorpinpoint
Thanks for unbanning me.
I am playing on Aloha.pk mainly because they are very well moderated servers and thanks to admin’s work, Ace of spades is very enjoyable to play with.
So I understand very well that because of hackers, everything has to be made to ban them and let legit players having fun.
All I know is that I wasn’t cheating, and I may be as well accused again at the future (you even said that you were suspecting me by the past, as I wasn’t cheating either I fear that I will ever stay suspicious to you).
Is video recording my playing sessions would be sufficient to prove my innocence ?

I guess occasionally take videos of yourself. But still, as one of our admins have said before, it’s like saying “I’m not fat because here’s a video of me not eating.”
Arguments don’t work like that.

What you did here was great, refuting the evidence that was presented against you. A stellar example of how ban appeals should work, IMO.

1 Like