Making a voxel game!

OK, so I decided to make this thread to document me making a voxel game using OpenGL + Rust. The end goal is just to have random terrain generation, for you to be able to fly around the terrain and to break and place blocks. Thats it. And I only plan for a few blocks (Dirt, Grass, Cobble and Water). This will largely be a learning experience for me as I haven't done anything like this :P.

Day 1 (see attached)
Using Glutin and gl-rs, I managed to create a basic version of a voxel world by iterating over an array of integers (where each integer corresponds to a block). Also added a camera and more advanced input system. Right now there is only one block.
Things for next time:

• Multiple blocks - May be as simple as uploading the right texture to the GPU instead of the cobble one, maybe more i don't know yet.
  • Chunk system - Will probably make them 16x16x256, just like in Minecraft (since that's proven to work)
  • Basic world generation - Using some form of noise algorithm, I will implement basic terrain with different heights, and with random blocks.
    [/list]

Hope to check in again tomorrow!

Looks cool! Good luck on your endeavours!

…And he didn’t check in tomorrow. Ouch.