Classic Maps Server

We’re planning on bringing most maps, including maps BR suggested. I don’t think we’ll see classic gen and Normandie was ruled out to be too big for a TDM match of 750 kills. I’m a fan of the rest however.

Feel free for everyone else to suggest and/or recommend. We’re also planning on adding airstrikes and squads (and keep it balanced) so discuss that too.

No, it was brought up by the OP. A rebuttal is not offtopic. And yes at the second part… you said precisely what I said, but rephrased.

I really don’t understand what is so imbalanced about either airstrikes or squads. The entire point of airstrikes is to give you an advantage by rewarding streaks, but it does come at the cost of requiring the player to play more conservatively and take less risks (camping) so it balances out.

With squads, there’s literally nothing imbalanced unless there is an unequal amount of players on each team. Both teams have equal access to the /squad command and both teams can use that command however they want to. If one tactic trumps another tactic (not a political statement) then you deserve the win due to your use of better tactics. If you want to use your squad to be able to better defend a specific hill then that’s your call. If you want to use your squad to go and be almost unstoppable at building a bridge to somewhere then that is also your call. If you want to go use your squad to spawnkill, then once again that is also your call.

I’m all for having squads and airstrikes on babel as well, but anyways…
Squads don’t need to be “nerfed”, Minit had them and it was never a problem and it spiced up the matches, forcing everyone to think more strategically.

Click for details

And more seriously, I think squads would be okay, but maybe not on some maps (like isleofwar, it can be so unbalanced if a team is playing as a squad and the other no)
Or we could just “active” squad when there is an XX amount of player in game (No need for squad when it’s 3vs3 5vs5)
For the issue whith an afk player in a squad, I usually create another squad when I’m playing; I totally agree with you BR; also no need for classic gen or normandie , and i’m 200% for airstrikes :smiley:

And please stop posting offtopic, make another thread if you have any other suggestion :slight_smile:

dr-lol.gif

Most of the staff is leaning towards no scripts (squads and airstrikes) and most think the server would be better and have that slower paced gameplay without it. Anybody object?

Also anymore classic map suggestions?

Edit: izzy made a suggestion of no time limit and airstrikes, but no squads too. Felt like that could be added to the discussion.

Honestly from what I saw today on babel with electrix and spring made me realise just how horrible and 1 sided the gameplay can get without squad (just an OP 1sided team) so please don’t go in favor for adding squads ._. otherwise stuff will get even more unfair and Unplayable for 1 team

I like the idea of a plain classic server with airstrikes though :3

What’s unfair about the use of squads of everyone has access to them?

Absolutely nothing. It is interesting though how the people who want squads are the ones who are capable of being social and are in a clan. Maybe the anti-squad people are just afraid they’ll actually have to communicate with people and… … … make friends!!! :o

Stop posting off-topic though. (This is what the cool people say in every post to make it seem like any response is invalid right? \ o /)

While I appreciate your efforts to jerk off me and my friends (you have very soft hands, by the way), they’re a bit misguided, because as someone who is in a clan and is pretty friendly with most people around here, I think squads are a disgustingly bad idea. This game already has enormous room for one player or a small group to kick ass, perhaps too much room. Topo and I literally made an entire team of 16 leave on babel this morning, to the point where the red team was literally empty. Now, that was hilariously fun for me and him, but it’s not fun for the other 30 guys if a small group of players just dominate the gameplay. Adding squads and airstrikes would make this happen way more often, and as far as I am concerned, this is something that we should try to avoid as much as possible.

Well said. On another note there was an irc discussion that ended up leaning against squads at initial release for various reasons. These include that matches with squads tend to steamroll and therefore not give players that join at a later time an equal opportunity to do well. However, fear not, because if at a later point in time it seems as if squads would work well in the server, and the community is decidedly pro squads, then we will be more than happy to implement them into the server.

For now, let’s consider other ideas such as izzy’s suggestion for no time limit. While I do think this will give people time to enjoy and cherish maps, it could also lead to the server being stuck on one map for a long period of time. I’m interested to hear other opinions on this matter.

Also, the staff has unanimously agreed to remove classicgen from the rotation, as we already have a server dedicated to the map.

For slinky:

[details=Click for details]

1. I don’t remember ever mentioning you at all here or in aloha in general/I barely even know who you are.
  2. My post was in reference to previous postees and had nothing to do with following posts or any clan/non-clan people that would participate in the discussion afterwards.
  3. While I do admire your outspokenness and springcentric notion of the universe it is misguided. Afrodude is fun to joke around with on here, Ed has always been cool, (I don’t necessarily think that either of those two reciprocate those opinions) and Dakotta is a great friend, but that’s about as much as I care about your clan.[/details]

I guess you are calling it a “Classic Maps” server and not a “Classic” server, so not having classic server settings/scripts still makes sense.

The “no-time-limit” idea doesn’t really make much sense to me if the server doesn’t have at least 16 players 24/7. As players on the server diminish, the amount of kills happening at any time will also diminish making the map drag out longer and longer. If the server is extremely active, then no-time-limit will allow people to work together to get a satisfying win without having to worry about the map switching prematurely. If the server isn’t always extremely active then yeah, I agree, you’ll just have the server stuck on some maps sometimes.

Sure, squads/airstrikes etc. are entertaining features that we miss from time to time.

But as Spring, AEM and others have stated, it is excessive on servers that have an already fragile balance. Babel, for instance, is nearly unplayable for a team when the other has even two excellent players. But babel isn’t special: any populated server experiences this fragility and demands nearly equal teams to be rewarding for players.

Since friends flock together, and many skilled players are friends, squads will end up desolating maps. Imagine, for just a moment, what a squad of four komrades could do against a team with regular players.

Airstrikes are more nuanced; if weakened to a tier less than a grenade storm and required a relatively high number of kills to activate, it could be an interesting feature. But as is, it doesn’t belong.

We’re still debating airstrikes, but we agreed as staff (for the most part) that squads would be unfair and defeats the slow pace that AoS should have. If we add airstrikes, we’re planning to have the killstreak be 10 and for to reset when you refill ammo/hp. Chainstrikes would be harder since you would need an additional 10 kills to get your second strike.

As for the map rotation, we were thinking of either having bridgewars, anticbridge, and maybe assault or have other classic maps. We think more people would play on a 24/7 bridge/assault server over a handful of classic maps that some may not like.

As for a time limit, we were thinking of making it around 120 or so minutes to allow decently filled servers to play out the match but still keep the maps fresh when server is less populated.

Like I said earlier…
Squads don’t need to be “nerfed”, Minit had them and it was never a problem and it spiced up the matches, forcing everyone to think more strategically.
I see the points of why you don’t want to add squads, but these can be fixed with minor tweaks to how squads work.

I played on minit ever since I joined aos and the game was only fun because most of the people understood the squad concept and there was an equal amount of squads on both teams making it fun but, one day (not even one day, this type of thing happened alot by other people) lines members made a green squad and just spawncamped the hell out of blue with the which made the game extremely unfair resulting in a similar situation on babel by spring and topo yesterday

Nowadays what are the chances of people using squads? Most of the people don’t even know how to /y so telling foreign language players on how to join squads is going to be really hard :confused:

Imo squads were ridiculously annoying in that assault server, greens just used the squad mother concept and kept capturing Intels at a very fast pace

Does that mean that your streak is reset if you go back to the tent or that you have to go back to the tent in order to get another consecutive airstrike?

There were more foreign players back then than there are now. Foreign people aren’t any dumber than Americans. If you see “a8sa8s a8s78a sda /squad 1” even though you might not understand it, after seeing it enough times you’ll try doing /squad 1 and you’ll figure out the system and see you’re spawning near the person that was spamming “do /squad 1”. Plus, once only one person in a foreign language figures it out, they will tell all their friends and can tell others who join the server. This is ignoring those that are bilingual, trilingual, etc. Also, “gamers” especially are known to be very intuitive and easily pick up on new concepts.

Well… that server was never really about a fair fight. The map was very dramatically asymmetrical. It was more about just strong teamwork and trying to survive as long as you could. We used to build bridges off on the sides just for the fun of it. That was where squads were really fun. You could lead a little assault, by slowly creeping up and firing at the team from the flank lines. It basically never worked, but it was fun.

Streak will reset in order to make it skillful to get 10 consecutive kills as opposed to getting cheap kills, returning back, and rinse and repeat. Secondary and subsequent strikes would require another 10 to stop chainstrikes. It’s meant to actually require some skill and effort to get something that can pretty much allow you to rain nades from the skies.

We had means of tweaking squads without means of “nerfing,” an example would be each squad would have limited spawn numbers, and that number would rotate to another player when they spawned on another member until all squad members have died, therefore preventing spawnmothers from being a thing.

In the end, we just decided that squads won’t have the “classic” feel of AoS, which is to have the slow paced effort and push, especially on a mode like TDM.

What do you mean they will be reset? Will they work in a similar fashion to the way they did on Minit? I don’t understand what you’re trying to say here.

I think he meant that if you go back to your tent to get life again or ammo, your streak will get “reset” (or would be removed), i.e like he said, you’ll need skills to get 10 kills in a row (you wouldn’t be able to get back hp or ammo without “loosing” your kills streak, for example if you kill 7 people and refill your ammo, it would have been the same to kill 0 people in a row). Sounds pretty clear to me and i think that’s a good idea :smiley:

Ah okay, that makes sense. My one suggestion would be to increase the kill requirement to 12 or 15 kills. From what I remember on Minit there was occasionally a problem with having to many airstrikes in quick succession. And it’s not that fun for the team on the receiving end. Having two or three players on one team that can run multiple high streaks at a time (which is not an irregular occurrence) would be even harder to deal with than it is already.