Ban Appeal - gutsman

1) Votekicks last only 30 minutes. Did you wait at least 30 minutes to make sure your “ban” is not just a votekick?
I was not votekicked, I just discovered I was banned when I tried to join the server this evening.

2) What is your in-game player name? Please include it in the subject of this topic as well.
gutsman

3) What server were you playing on when you got banned? Reminder: We can only help you with bans that took place on aloha.pk servers.
I wasn’t banned while playing, I just tried joining a game and it says I am banned. Normally I only play on the “aloha.pk tower of babel” server, but it looks like I was banned from all aloha.pk servers at a cursory glance.

4) Why were you banned? Lying severely decreases your chances of getting unbanned. If your “little brother” got you banned, tell him to make an appeal, or accept responsibility on his behalf.
I honestly don’t know. The only thing that comes to mind is that yesterday I tried joining the babel server but there were only 2 players on it and I was immediately kicked, so I went to another server instead. Regardless, I don’t believe I have engaged in any banworthy behavior.

5) Why should you be unbanned?
Without more information on the reason for the ban, all I can say is that I haven’t done anything wrong. Further insight into why I was banned would be much appreciated.

6) When were you banned? Best approximate date and time, please.
By my best guess, sometime between 10pm CST on Aug 24th (the last time I played babel) and 8pm CST on Aug 26th

1 Like

Hello,

Aloha’s staffs do not ban anyone without reason and you are not exception either. I am the admin who banned you last night for blocked the Blue’s stairs to Platform.

Hope this would remind what you’ve done and change your story.

Thanks,

Nathan

1 Like

Hello,

Thank you for the prompt response. I am a little confused about the ban reason, however. Last night I tried joining the “aloha.pk tower of babel” server (despite there being only two other players, thinking maybe the match had just started) but was immediately kicked (for what reason, I don’t rightly know), and so I joined the CRYPTOCLOVER Hallway server instead and played there all evening. I didn’t grief any platforms/stairs, Blue or otherwise, in the case of either server.

I did play on the aloha babel server Friday and Saturday night as well, but again did not engage in any griefing, or behavior that could be misconstrued as griefing to my knowledge. Normally I think griefers get votekicked for it or disabled from building in fairly short order, and I certainly have not seen anything of that kind directed my way in recent play.

I am not sure what kind of evidence I can offer to prove my case, but if you have any further clarifying information around the ban, please let me know and I’ll try to provide what I can.

I recorded you blocked Blue’s stairs and at that time the name in the clip was glitch.

https://youtu.be/7Qa0gxqu64Y

Thanks,

Nathan

hqdefault.jpg

Regarding the video clip, I am not exactly sure what is going on. I was not on an aloha.pk server on 8/25 (minus the few seconds mentioned in my previous posts) and in general I don’t particularly like that map (the one shaped like a bowtie) so it’s unlikely I would have played a match on it, let alone stick around to grief.

I should note, sometimes if we’re losing and the tower is partially destroyed, I’ll build straight up to try and reach the top and shoot the opposing team before they can reach the intel, but in those cases I build off to the side so that it doesn’t interfere with the flow of the existing tower. I wouldn’t build directly in the path of the tower to do this, especially since the tower in question appears to be adequately built/already reaching the top. As well, since it’s a desperation maneuver to reach the top as soon as possible, I only build an offshoot one block wide rather than the two blocks wide being shown in this clip.

I don’t know much about how AoS handles usernames, but I have used the handle “gutsman” since I first started playing in 2013. I’m not familiar with “the Death Quack”, but is there a specific rationale for why the username is associated with mine? I’m not familiar with the nature of the glitch of which you speak, but in any case I am concerned if my username is being co-opted or abused somehow.

I’m not sure if it would help, but I can PM my IP address if that would corroborate my account. Please let me know if that or any other details are needed on my end.

As Nathan said, your name was glitched in the video as Death Quack. The glitch happens occasionally. We ban by IP and it was your IP that was banned so you had to be the one playing.

I can explain a bit more. He saw “death quack” (you) blicking stairs which imo the video clearly shows
He types in the ban command using the id assigned to “death quack” and it bans you since death quack is really gutsman. That name glitch is annoying but we cannot really control when it happens. I cannot think of a situation where an accident could of occurrd of the top of my head.

Thank you for clarifying. So if I am understanding correctly, the following sequence of events took place:

[ol]- Nathan saw player “the Death Quack” griefing the Blue tower during a game on “aloha.pk tower of babel” on August 25th

• Nathan enters the command "/ban " where is the numerical ID for the user “the Death Quack”
  • Due to the naming glitch, the names of the players as depicted onscreen is not a 100% reliable indicator of which player is which, but the numerical ID is
  • The system bans the IP address for the player with the associated numerical ID
  • Nathan sees a message in the interface stating “Player the Death Quack has been banned” or something to that effect[/ol]

I am not privy to the details of how the ban system works, but based on your collective descriptions I am assuming the above is at least somewhat accurate. If so, then I think there are two possibilities as to how I think things could have gone wrong with regards to assigning the ban:

[ol]- Somehow a wire got crossed and the ID associated with “the Death Quack” became erroneously associated with “gutsman”. I’m honestly not sure how that could have happened since I wasn’t playing on aloha babel on the 25th. The only possibility that comes to mind is if my connecting and being immediately kicked resulted in a glitch where my ID persisted and, in combination with the name glitch, resulted in “the Death Quack” getting my ID.

• The user “the Death Quack” was using IP address spoofing to protect themselves from a possible ban, and either used a completely random IP address or took one from a preset list of AoS player IPs, and ended up spoofing mine by chance. This may sound pretty unlikely, but it would make sense given the facts of this case.[/ol]

I realize that this all sounds highly dubious and that I have no particular evidence to submit that would confirm these suspicions - I’ve sent my IP address to you both via PM, but it sounds like you already have a record of that - but I can’t provide an alternate explanation that accounts for the observed behavior. I did not play on an aloha server on August 25th (minus the few seconds before I was kicked as described in the OP) and did not grief or engage in any grieflike behaviors at all during the past weekend that I played on aloha babel or any other AoS server.

In the past six years that I’ve played, I’ve almost certainly trolled, posted inappropriate things in chat, or otherwise spoiled the fun at some point. I apologize for those incidents since they did directly impact the aloha.pk server community. However, I can’t apologize for something that I didn’t do, and in this specific case in which I was banned, I can only say that I did not do what I have been accused of.

That said, the aloha.pk servers are run and maintained by the admins, and as such all I can do is accept whatever verdict you give in this matter. Please let me know what the specific outcomes of this are once that has been determined.

The player griefing was you but instead of the game showing “gutsman” it showed death quack. The player is still you butnit shows as a different name. It wont switch ips or anything like that.

Nathan will reply with his decision.

gutsman,

Thanks DemoDestroyer for explained and comments.

I do not handle appeal via pm-ed anything relate to appeal…need to handle here. I want to introduce you about aloha. We are pretty laid back group and we believe in second chance for those who come forward and admitted their wrong doing.

As I mentioned the name was glitch and this is common known happen. You always claimed player on the videos clip was “the Death Quack”. DemoDestroyer also explained to you aloha’s staff banned by ID in game and that ID was tided to your IP address.

I banned you 3 days for blocking the stairs and let the ban serve it purpose.

Appeal is Denied.

Thanks,

Nathan