Babel maps: swag and swag2

Hey there,
I made 2 new maps.One of them could be used on the aloha babel server. Im not quite sure what you guys think of these maps so it would be nice if you can give me your feedback so I can improve the maps or create a better one for babel someday.

Map overview:

Spawn:

Middle of the map where you can build the tower:

Islands:

Download link: Dropbox - Error

oh, and of course you could suggest me a better map name. ;D

removed.png

… Yes …

This could be interesting. At the very least worth a test run.

I tested it out. It looks pretty good. Unfortunately the sky will be blue in babel games.

The towers and tombstones ought to make for some interesting defense.

However, I think you should be permabanned for use of the word “swag”. ;D

you can change the fog to orange with the dynamic fog script. it should be fine if we were to use it in babel.

Map looks amazing, the water damage is a little harsh, insta-death, but a guess that’s what you were going for. :wink:
Mind if I ask what you used to create the 3D Diamond model? It really brings new life to a 2D image.

The problem is the color gets reset to blue after an intel grab.

does it really? hmm. didn’t know that. maybe it’s a bug with the script.

I believe I found the issue with the fog color. Inside babel_script.py

def restore_default_fog_color(self):
self.protocol.set_fog_color(getattr(self.protocol.map_info.info, ‘fog’, (128, 232, 255)))

This method is resetting the fog color to (128, 232, 255) after every flag event, instead of grabbing the fog extension in the map’s text file.

The code from dynfog.py may be the fix.

thx guys for your feedback :wink:

Mind if I ask what you used to create the 3D Diamond model?
I guess you mean the map render in the first pic, right? You can download the render tool here to create renders of maps: [url=http://www.sendspace.com/file/nhu5lc]http://www.sendspace.com/file/nhu5lc [/url]
I believe I found the issue with the fog color. Inside babel_script.py

def restore_default_fog_color(self):
self.protocol.set_fog_color(getattr(self.protocol.map_info.info, ‘fog’, (128, 232, 255)))

This method is resetting the fog color to (128, 232, 255) after every flag event, instead of grabbing the fog extension in the map’s text file.

The code from dynfog.py may be the fix.

Yeah, I also noticed the fog problem. :frowning:
However for some reason I’m not able to run a babel server with the dynfog.py so I can’t tell if the fog works with that script (there might be some kind of script conflict between dynfog and babel_script - or I just messed up my config file ;))

Thanks for the download it pretty sweet.

As for the code conflict, instead of running both scripts, you could try implementing the code from dynfog.py to babel_script.py, this would get rid of an script conflicts.
(if you don’t know how, then you’ll end up with a broken script.) As for your config file, your on your own. :stuck_out_tongue:

Nevermind. It seems like I used an outdated / not properly working version of the dynfog script. I tried it again and everything worked fine. The fog changed to red/brown when I started the map and there wasnt any disruption of the fog when I grabbed the intel (not even the teams color appeared) and after I advanced the map the fog turned back to default.

Where is the most recent babel script?

http://buildandshoot.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2586
Set the gamemode to “babel” and add “babel_script” to the scripts section

Nice map! So why did you name it “swag”?

thanks, I originally intended to make a typical island map like jojoestinky always did and most of his maps have strange names like stmat, snid or smack. Then I thought about a similar name and swag was the first word that came to my mind ;D

This was the first version of the map

removed.png

That one’s pretty cool as well. You should release it as swag1.

Added the first version of the map on my first post. :slight_smile:

really nice maps! we will get them added to the server.

Possible names for them, Tortuga (Pirates of the Caribbean reference) and Holloween Island. If you would like, I don’t mind if you don’t like them.