Aloha.pk Community

Have my babies. <3

Yeah, Aloha was first focused on Battlefield: Bad Company 2 IIRC.

I think AOS / OS is such a great game because it allows fps players to interact with the terrain in a unique way. It allows one to look at a terrain strategically, design trenches, set up bunkers etc.
Watch the bluedrake movie:

While his noobiness is almost painful to watch, his general remarks to the intensity of the game are awesome.
I also like Babel because it uses this in a very nice way.

So I agree that OS should be moved forward. I also agree that getting youtubers with a following to play with us is a most helpful tool. Maybe get some warning beforehand, so that good players could fill the server.
I actually think that the two go hand in hand. With new game features, I am sure that quite a few reviewers will revisit the game. It will also prevent the players from going stale. Right now, I think that many players know how to play an optimized game. If we stir things around a bit, then there will be new gameplay territory to explore also for the old hands at the game.

Features I would lobe to see in future OS / AOS:

-Water-
Voxels lend themselves very well to calculating water-flow. Breaching reservoirs, flooding tunnels, building a dam in order to dry out the enemy… I bet that many new game elements would evolve from adding water.

-Various strength voxels
Right now the SMG goes like butter through everything: rock, concrete, foilage.
Giving voxels verious strength, would allow a team inside a concrete bunker built on dirt to be relatively safe until the dirt underneath the bunker is remioved completely (having the thing tumble into water could be quite cool). At the same time, a bunker built on bedrock would be a very hard nut to crack. Trenches in dirt would also be more easily cut than through bedrock.

-Heavy artillery
With stronger voxels, stronger weapons could be needed. I think that fixed position heavy artillery that makes big craters in the dirt (maybe with heaped up crater edges) could be cool game objects to fight about.
Ammo would have to be hauled from the tent, so that a heavily fortified big gun could be silenced by cutting off the supply lines from the rear.
Operation could be similar to “Scorched earth”, but in 3d. Whoever brings the ammo gets to aim and fire it.

-I am not too sure about vehicles. Something to think about.

I am a trained engineer, and I develop computing algorithms for a living. However, I regret that I will not have the time to participate on a level beyond ideas and playtesting.

hqdefault.jpg

I also want volumetric water, but one step at a time. Gotta get everyone switched to OS first!

I agree with everything ScrapHeap had to say.

I love the water idea especially, but really OS just doesn’t feel the same as AOS. I feel like that should be resolved first. Sure change is good and people never like it at first, but some changes feel kind of unnecessary. Like the cartoony appearance of OS vs. the bleak, dark look of AOS. Both color schemes are nice and cater to different players, so I really think there should be an option so we can have both. My biggest gripe with OS after trying it out for awhile is just how different the movement (both crouching & jumping) and mouse movement feel. It really feels like a different game. The biggest struggle will be making the game fun, enjoyable, and relatable to our current/old players while still being dynamic enough to engage new players.

I think we can get more and more people into OS if we can start making it player smoother like classic 0.75

We can slowly phase out classic 0.75 and start adding much needed features into openspades.

In addition to what ScrapHead said:

I would like in game translation of text (especially server announcements and votekicks, etc)

Having blocks of different strengths would be a much better game experience (but maybe add restrictions to what can be used and if it cost like 5 hp points to place a strong block down)

I would also like to see in game mod selection built into OS.

Also for water: It would be amazing to place water on any level of the map (just not the botom)

*end of random thinking xD

IMO we should make OS-only servers and start from there. And before making a major switch we would need something like pubovl for OS

Don’t do OS-only servers until it’s much more polished and has a bunch of features that make it worthwhile for people to switch like the volumetric water. Until then it would just split the community and do more harm than good.

Also for the blocks of different strengths I don’t think it’s a good idea to make it hurt you. I think it would be better for a block that takes one hit to break to cost you one build point (one build point = one current block) and a block that takes 5 hits to break would cost 5 build points. Etc… So you could place one “bedrock” block of 50 hits before running back to your tent. This would need balancing of course and maybe a buff to the block damage for weapons and the spade. I think a bedrock that costs 50 block points should be able to be broken in like 25 smg shots to be fair. So maybe make all the block damage be doubled over vanilla.

Forget all that. Just make it so you can place a block inside of a current block to “reinforce” it. So you can reinforce a block so it takes 10 rifle shots to break it by placing 4 more blocks inside of the block you selected. Sorry if my thoughts are kinda rambly lol. I’m too lazy to go back and make flowing sentences on mobile.

No offence but Teraria kinda sucks, also Minecraft, prety old games :-
But i have no idea what happens to us after AoS dies :’(
Watever it is, i wanna be part of it

If AoS dies, then fml.
I will play Geometry Dash and Super Smash Flash 2 again. :frowning:

Having openspades only servers is a terrible idea.

First of all, at least a third of the players in aos have pcs that can’t handle OS. Next, OS has glitches that can actually harm gameplay, rather than make it more interesting; like the voxlap spade grenade glitch. And lastly, my personal opinion and a lot of others I’ve talked to, is that I honestly hate the difference in openspades gameplay. It looks like someone blocked out the sun and I can’t see any dark colored players. Can’t dodge as smoothly and mods are just a pain.

What we should be doing is putting Ace of Spades out there on every forum you’re a part of.

I am using AOS, not OS.
I have tried OS, but I found that the controls were too different.
Finding out how AOS reacts to mouse and keyboard input and duplicate it in OS should be a doable first step.
Getting rid of the “drag more than 60 blocks and you will be out” glitch of AOS (which I do not find “interesting”) would be very welcome.

Making OS run on weaker hardware would be great. I think that we have many players from less rich countries exactly because the game is free, and the specs are low.
AOS was built on Ken Silverman’s Voxlap engine Ken Silverman's Voxlap Page. (I actually got into AOS from having had the demo on my pc as a novelty.
If nothing better comes up, one could consider stuffing this engine into OS as an alternative to openGL. No idea how much work this would be though.

From there on, I will help with an unlimited stream of ideas and little more :slight_smile:

Digging up voxlap, I just came across something rather interesting:
the pnd3d engine of the same author http://advsys.net/ken/voxlap/pnd3d.htm, and it is a modern successor to voxlap
I quote:

The PND3D engine is something I started, really in response to the hype of Unlimited Detail. Initially my goal was to figure out their algorithm. I started my first prototype in August 2008. It wasn’t until December 2009 that I found a rendering algorithm I was happy with (and by that I mean a fast enough worst case). Then in 2011, Ace of Spades happened, and so I shifted my goal to making a successor to the Voxlap engine. Voxlap’s main feature is the ability to support unlimited modification to voxels on the grid. Note that this design goal is in conflict to tricks like instancing, which can save greatly on memory.

Maybe this could be useful?

Edit:

From the demo:
I did a lot of stuff over the next year, then AoS changed hands and I lost
interest in the project.

Demo projects made so far with the engine:

• A Voxlap Cave Demo remake
  • TomCar - a ‘Stunts’ type remake by Tom Dobrowolski
    I may release these at some point. The engine code currently compiles with
    Microsoft Visual C/C++ 6.0. It should work fine with later versions of 32-bit
    Visual C/C++.

I am open to commercial applications based on Voxlap. You may find my contact
information at the at the bottom of my website main page here:
http://advsys.net/ken[/i]

He appears to be a fan of the old AOS, so maaaaybe he could be convinced to help the new one

pnd3d00.jpg

Integrating a more voxlap-like engine is exactly my priority, Scrapheap. Thanks for the link! I’ll take a hard look pnd3d and tackle this over the summer.

Will there be both versions in one launcher?

Oh… And I want landmines to secure my towers!

rightclick when throwing a Grenade, and instead you add a block that explodes when stepped on (same positioning rules as with normal blocks).
For members of your team, the block glows or is colored differently, for opposing team, the block has the block color selected by player et time of placement.

Step on the block, and it will explode like a grenade, shoot the block: same thing. explode a grenade or mine next to block, and it explodes as well (imagine a bridge mined to blow all in one go :).
Maybe even possible to do this server side?

would be a great way to slow down agressive tunnelling

Actually a great idea. I’m sure that could be instituted into blockpower, at the least.

If landmines destroy terrain it would be complicated to prevent team griefing with them.

That is true, maybe they can’t destroy teammate placed blocks, and only ones that you or the other team has placed.

In Babel, I would have them work like grenades.
Within protected area: no block destruction. Outside area: full destruction.
maybe no team killing inside protected area, but full team killing outside it.

I agree that it needs more polishing, but it may be worth thinking about

True, and I’m sure it wouldn’t be too hard to just modify the explosive block script on block power.

I think for the meantime until we can get some real progress on OS, or a new game even, it might be smarter to make a bunch of scripts that add new weapons or features to the game to keep people around. Keep in mind it would need to be heavily balanced and polished, but something like landmines or even the old dirt nades could be lots of fun on babel. Imagine people building towers by spamming nades lol. If we can come up with some good ideas I might even try making scripts so they become a reality later when I get a new laptop. However, I’ve never been too good at scripting, so don’t count on me for anything though.

Why would any gun deal less damage at a closer range? That literally defies all laws of physics. The game distance to bullet spread handles this issue already, and in a better way.