[MEGA IDEA!] Cross Map Canal

It is…? I mean, they’re man made. So they’re kinda straight

See

I can help with gathering materials!

Alright. Anonymous has fences, I have some stone bricks. But we’re going to need THOUSANDS of stone bricks

Tell me again if you need wooden materials.
ALSO GUYS! Lone_Wolf Timber Shop is now OPEN IN THE NEW SPAWN!

With the new minecraft water mechanics, you only need 2 buckets. The water is literally re-useable

I noticed that! It will be much easier!

I’m interested to participate in this project only if there are enough other people who are seriously interested as well. It would be cool to see it on the server and, once completed, may inspire others to build alongside it, as is the idea.

One problem I foresee is not material gathering, but the construction. It is typical of players to not carry beds. If I decide to dig, my patience will wear very thin if I can’t sleep because other players are not paying attention, do not have a bed (or don’t want to relog), or are idling at some automated farm. I’m sure this would annoy others as well. I don’t particularly enjoy combining a building project with mob combat, and having to wait out the night is not practical and will deter participation.

Is this canal going to be completely straight or will it be diagonal to any degree? If it’s not straight, we all should have to follow the same pattern (block shifting)- and we should all check up on progress to make sure no mistakes were made along the way.

That being said, I can provide some materials to the project as well. 20k stone blocks is not all that much. That’s 315.5 stacks at 54 stacks per double chest. 5.78 double chests worth of cobble? I have somewhere around 28 plus more I haven’t brought back to the base. No biggie. I can also help collect glowstone and provide all of the redstone (30+ stacks of blocks) necessary to turn those into lamps. I’m not really interested in harvesting wood resources, but it seems like others have volunteered for that. I can probably help with tracks too, if needed.

I hope this comes to fruition.

sounds fun.

I can supply some stone and wood also. Do you plan on having something underneath the water and on the sides (like stone) or just use whatever shows up naturally? How do you want to use glowstone? Would it be better to use jack-o-lanterns? ( i have a lot of pumpkins)

I can also help with the building but it should be planned out so that people can work on it whenever w/o direction.

Yes, players should be able to show up and work on it independently. And, in the case that the canal is not entirely straight (directionaly), we need to be clear on how many blocks apart the shift will occur.

I can provide cobblestone, I have well over 100k of it and have no other uses!

@haux I will seriously be involved in this project, so count me in.

Anonymous and I have broken through a mountain in the jungle and have staked about halfway to spawn. We’re going to have to put the canal through another mountain or 2, and maybe a few hills. I already checked the heights and it all seems like this will work out, as long as we dig through the mountains. We don’t have to wreck them to make the canal, we can just go straight through if possible. This might make the job much easier.

A tunnel through a mountain would look very cool. It would also allow for some very nifty lighting inside.

Monsta, I think you should create an official list of people who are seriously interested in this project, with a marker indicating who is specifically interested in digging or only providing resources.

And to those of you who are saying you’re interested. Keep in mind that something like this will take a while. If you have something time consuming coming up in two weeks, but say you’re interested in helping… it will probably not work out for you. Take upcoming events into consideration when volunteering. I think anyone who dedicates time and resources to something like this, just to see it fall apart because the manpower is no longer there, will not be very happy.

Are we completely set on the 4 block depth, or does anyone think it should be deeper?

Are we going to line the inside walls of the canal with stone of any kind, or leave it as-is?

Leave as is, although where the fences are going to be on the sides of the canal I want to have that dirt. And yeah, 4 block depth. Now here’s a big question: Redstone lamps or glowstone

That depends on how the lighting is going to be setup. With light posts it may be tricky to hide the power source for lamps. Is it going in the ground? Lamps would be easy there.

Possibly. Not sure yet.

MEGA UPDATE: Spawn has been tunneled/dug to.

Don’t be too happy, since even that kind of a task pretty much broke my index finger. Because someone cough left cough.

I need sleep man.

UPDATE: There have been some delays recently because everyone has been busy. However, soon, we’ll be back to work

I could try to help out, even though I dont even have a basic platform on the server yet.

Staking almost done at this point. Check the progress so far on the dynmaps.