Lone Tower is, in my opinion, a horrible map, for players on both teams. Here are a couple of reasons why I think Lone Tower should be removed from the rotation:
- You spawn up high. If you try to get down, you take lots of fall damage, unless you make a staircase, which isn’t conducive to getting back to the fight to prevent it from getting worse once the tower goes down. If the map is not removed, please at least disable fall damage.
- You are surrounded on all sides by greens with almost perfect cover who have line of sight to your spawn.
- The early-to-mid game is spent getting to the base of the tower as fast as possible and shooting the people inside before someone shoots you in the back.
- The late game is spent dying.
- If a lucky blue escapes spawn, where the hell can he go? Greens spawn everywhere. When I do this I often go spawncamp one of the green spawns, maybe a person or three every fifteen seconds. Not that helpful, not that fun for me, not that fun for them. They all stack at the exact same point, too, so a SMG makes extremely quick work of them.
- Cannot use grenades or dig to people without helping their cause.
- After the tower is down, if you rush to the water and make a little wall so shoot from, people on the other side of the island can still shoot you. You can see from one side straight to the other.
- Dying a second after spawning is no fun, especially with wave spawning.
- Possible to win, but it involves spawning, shooting the guy with the intel while he’s still on the island, dying. Spawn, shoot the next guy, die. If your only focus is shooting the intel carrier, you’ll be shot down quickly. Just hope you can kill the carrier before he gets away. Not fun, but it’s the only way to (maybe) get a win.
- If you care, your /ratio will go to nothing, even if you were doing well in prior and future maps.
- In the early-to-mid game, everyone goes and saps the tower. Blue is fairly defenseless, there doesn’t have to be all too much skill as they are all shooting at the people inside the tower already. Breaking blocks is not fun or exciting.
- In the late game you get a SMG, point it at their spawn, put a rock on the mouse button, and go make a sandwich or something. Not fun, except as target practice possibly.
- If a blue somehow manages to escape the tower, he can set himself up by one of green’s spawns and spawncamp. You don’t often spawn at the guarded one, but as everyone stacks up in the same spot (not scattered around) you’ll die.
- No building involved, the trees already give more cover than you need.
- You can afk without cover at blue spawn after tower has gone down. You’ll probably survive for a few minutes.
- Almost always wins.
I never have as much fun playing Lone Tower as I do playing the others. It is monotonous for both sides and very frustrating for blue.