enable friendly fire?

if we enable friendly fire, there will be automatic protection to prevent troublemaker players from abusing it such as:

• damage player who damages his teammates (maybe, opinions?)
  • kick player who damages/kills too many teammates
  • ban player who excessively damages/kills teammates

the protection would be tweaked to allow for some error because i know sometimes team damage would be accidental.

this is just a thought so please share yours, thanks!

I like the idea, blue on blue is a realistic aspect which could add a further dimension to the map. I think you’d need to be careful though and tweak those variables (team damage) quickly or the servers might lose popularity.

I’m not sure damaging a player who damages another is the best course of action however. If a player is intentionally damaging their team then it’s unlikely they are playing seriously enough to worry about penalties based on an in-game incentive.

To help strengthen the metrics, if it would be possible to give players the option to choose whether or not to ‘forgive’ a team member who kills them, you might be able to get a more accurate measure with which to automate bans / kicks / time-outs etc.

Good luck with it if you go with it. With appropriate administration I think it’s worth it.

thanks for your input. i’m not about to do anything without opinions from players because you’re right about a change like this putting the server’s popularity at risk.

good point. reason enough to not use reflective damage if you ask me. i don’t like the concept anyway, it’s unrealistic and feels restrictive.

forgive is totally possible. another option is manual punish, which offers a sense of payback because the victim gets to pull the trigger. i like automated punish/forgive better though - it’s more friendly. what do you think?

Yeah I agree automated punish and forgive is more neutral/friendly. I guess the only problem is if griefers start running underneath friendly tanks but, that can be resolved easily enough if there’s admins around, etc.

I’m curious to know - how are you implementing these changes? I saw a few admin packages floating around but the closest I could find that supports the features I’m currently seeing on the server is rconNet? I’d be interested to know for sure though.

Cheers!

PRoCon

Yes, I agree to turn the friendly fire on, it can make me play the game more cautiously

May I suggest to turn off the cross-hair too? The cross-hair obstruct my sight to sense movement, and it even doesn’t help me to aim at all…

If we’re on board for realism, how do people feel about the deathcam?

unless the kill cam is the replay how your killer kill you(COD style), if not I don’t think it’s useful and welcome at all

At least many snipers hate this too much.

I couldn’t quite understand your meaning harry but, at the moment the deathcam is enabled on the server.

he means if it’s like Call of Duty’s kill cam in that it replays what your killer did, then leave it enabled. but it’s not that way so he doesn’t like it.

i don’t like it either because it gives away the killer’s position and i think it’s more fun when players have less help from the game.

the main reason i don’t want to disable kill cam is because it would be one more step away from vanilla settings. another reason is because it will label the server as hardcore, which will affect the server’s popularity. friendly fire and any of the following settings will also label the server as hardcore:

isHardcore = true infoFriendlyFire = true infoAutoBalance = false infoKillCam = false infoMiniMap = false infoCrosshair = false info3DSpotting = false infoMiniMapSpotting = false info3PersonVehicleCameras = false

source: http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/members-helping-members/1055379-why-do-servers-become-hc.html

the more i think about it the more i think we should leave friendly fire disabled, but it’s still open for discussion…

Hmm, in my opinion - the aloha server is unique, based on the following settings combined:

A) there’s 808 tickets to work through - it’s rare, and perfect for the scale of the map. People really enjoy getting the practice time in! I know that there’s a dunkin’ donuts server in korea is trying to copy aloha’s setup, but at the end of the day they are lacking the next point,
B) 32 player slots… which fill up and stay filled up due to…
C) there’s no kick for high ping. The server attracts players from all over asia (and the world), mainly due to the combination of (A) and (B)

I’d rather have some actual statistics from the server to say for certain, but the vast majority of players I seem to run into on aloha have a rank in at least the late 20’s, or seem to be lower ranks that started over for fun. They don’t strike me as players who are put off by challenge, so I think it’s more likely they’re drawn to the uniqueness of the server setup. I know that’s the case for me anyway!

The server is popular enough to add a setting for a few days during the week, add a MOTD to let people know, gauge the response, and then see if things change for the worst (or better!). If it doesn’t work - no big deal, just switch it back by the weekend and you retain the big crowd. There are literally no other servers running this particular setup, at least when searching within Asia. If you keep people informed, they’ll know what to expect.

Anyway, just my opinion 8)

and thanks for sharing your opinion, it helps when pondering the idea.

the saying, “don’t fix what ain’t broke” keeps repeating in my head. it’s a pretty big change and would require players to change their play habits. there are a lot of stubborn gamers out there so i am concerned about losing those who hate the change, but you could be right about it being for the better. i suppose there’s nothing wrong with giving it a try when we can actively monitor it closely. that brings me to my next concern: friendly fire auto protection isn’t perfect so the change would require more attention from admins and there aren’t enough of us as it is right now.

another thing is our servers were created with default settings in mind (except number of tickets and deployment protection) because there’s a shortage of 24/7 heavy metal servers like so.