Babel map suggestions

Btw:
You should check out Visual FSM for your pipeline…

Good NSFW tutorial: http://youtu.be/V4iBb_j6k_g (oops… the picture shows)

I can imagine setting up a cool scene using, for example, some rocks, grass and similar,
Fire away with the camera, and ending up with very cool maps with a high degree of realism…

Thanks a lot! I’ve found out about a similar tool called 123dCatch a few months ago. I will test this one too and compare their results. Importing stuff like rocks seems indeed like a good idea, since, at least what from what I’ve seen so far they turn out to look quite good in voxel graphics.

123catch is a closed autodesk tool, which does all the work offsite.
My experiments with this tool chain turned out rather nice results, but I have not had time to proceed further.
I suspect that rocks and similar may turn out nice, same with treetrunks and relieffs.
Most important appears to have objects with texture all over (reflecting and transparent objects do not work well).
It also seems to help to take pictures in conditions where ambient lighting more than single source lighting lights up the object.

Alternative program for turning point cloud into mesh:
http://www.cs.jhu.edu/~misha/Code/PoissonRecon/Version5.5/
Never tried it, but saw comments indicating that better results could be expected.

thanks for all the recommendations. Unfortunately, my time schedule and the weather haven’t allowed me to go out and take photos on a bright day so far but I’ll make sure to do that as soon as possible.
meanwhile, here is a first rough draft of how I imagine the map to turn out[details=Click for details]

[/details]
-the beige part will be a high wall consisting of rocks. To me this seems to be a more interesting way of narrowing down the size of the battlefield than adding water
-blue stands for the river and sinkholes (there probably won’t be that many sinkholes though)
-green marks trees/jungle
-red are ruins/smaller rocks
-purple will be a larger building, perhaps a pyramid or some sort of tower
-orange: same as purple, just smaller
right now, my main concern with this concept is that it would be very easy to hide on the sides and destroy the enemies tower. maybe the inner ring should be made smaller or less trees should be added, still not sure about that.
Also: here is a first test building. It’s more like a maya temple like in serious sim’s map so I probably won’t add it, but it still should give a very good impression on how the buildings may look like [details=Click for details]

[/details]

Any thoughts/concerns so far?

removed.png

Hi LostMotel,

I really like the look of the pyramid!
With regards to the map layout:

-For the surrounding area, I think that really dense jungle may do the trick, with or without rocks.
There is this monastry map, where the forests do a really good job at keeping you to the paths.
Maybe do some triple layer canopy as well… Lots of bushes on the ground, most tree canopys 10 to 20 blocks up, and a couple of very tall trees poking up to 30 blocks up… The jungle would make quick traverses dificult, unless someone decided to cut a path, either at ground level, or at canopy level. The tallest trees could make good sniper posts.

-I do not know whether a river is required. In my eyes, 6-7 interconnected sinkholes may do the trick, at least one at each end BEHIND the tents. Add some temple ruins to be discovered within the tunnel system (stairs down from the closestsinkhole, hidden temple underground somewhere…

-I would have the two tallest temples located close to the tents, maybe just next to the tent (bridging from temple top to heaven should remain difficult, but not impossible.

-I would keep the area underneath heaven fairly open, 3-4 sinkholes, some smaller buildings that can work as pillboxes, and some shrubs and shorter trees.

-Some of the structures can contain tunnels and chambers. Maybe a labyrinth under each main pyramid?

-If space left, add an maya ball field with the loop for the players to send the ball through.

I love to see this idea take form…

aztec2.jpg

Nice pyramid Aimboat !
■■■■■ pink blocks for you sexy boya

BTW: which program is this?
(I refer to the voxel modeller, not the professional art package you used for the preliminary map. That one is way out of my budget)

btw LostMotel: Have you concidered using Worldmachine ( http://www.world-machine.com/ ) to create the basic heightmap and associated textures?

Try World Machine risk-free by downloading the Basic Edition! This fully-featured version contains all features and functionality of the Standard Edition, with two restrictions:
The maximum resolution output from the Basic Edition is limited to 513x513 pixels.
You may not use the results of the Basic Edition commercially. Resulting heightfields and textures may not be used in a commercial project, nor integrated into for-sale artwork.

Within the terms of use above, the Basic Edition is free for unlimited use.

I believe that AOS use is covered. The map size should be ok, and you could get effects like realistic erosion not seen in most maps.
Maybe not as useful for a relatively flat map with lots of vegetation, but I can think of other maps that might have benefited.

just saw this. we had a map similar to this that Used to be in rotation on infiltration. It was called Lost… something

nice work as always, Lostmotel

lostvalleyinf