BuildCon - 27 Dec 2013 10pm GMT

[shadow=black,right]BuildCon[/shadow]

Vote for Best Sector Now!

Friday 27 December 2013 10pm GMT
Times Worldwide: Click
Server: http://aos075.aloha.pk:52886/

Hello, Aloha Player Killers!

It’s been too long (9 months!) since our last BuildCon.

We invite you all to Aloha BuildCon on Friday, the 27th of December, 2013 at 10pm GMT.

This BuildCon will be slightly different than the last, and there is some required information you’ll need. Read more about it here:

Full info here!

Now with competition! Click for more info.

See you then!

This event will be hosted on our Build Server with a couple new features:

Our build server has been recently updated, and works like so:

The map is divided into grid sectors:

Grid Sector Image

http://i.imgur.com/E4sS8eT.png

You can see these on the map by pressing “m” (“n” in OpenSpades). You can go to any sector and claim it, which means only you can build on it. Additionally, you can share this sector with your friends, and they’ll be able to build on it any time they like, even if you’re not around. In this way, you can work together on a project without worrying about someone griefing it when you’re gone.

From the server status page (link at top of first post) you can see what sectors are claimed, and who currently in the server has permission to build where. Put your cursor over the coordinates and it’ll tell you who owns that sector.

Now, in order to claim a sector, you must login. Anyone with a forum account can build: it’s done automatically when you registered on our forums here on Aloha.pk. If you haven’t registered yet, do so now! There’s no need to apply for trusted or anything like that. Just having a forum account is all you need. When on the server, you simply use:

/login forumname password
or
/login “my forum name” password

Where forumname is the exact spelling of your forum name here, and your password is the same as well (you can change your in-game password to be different from your forum password under profile > modify profile if you’d like). If your name has spaces in it, just wrap it in “quotation marks”. Example: /login “o hai there” mypass

Once logged in, you’ll have access to the following commands:

/claim
This allows you to claim a sector as your own, if it hasn’t been claimed by someone already. You can only claim ONE sector at a time.

/unclaim
This removes your claim. You’ll no longer be able to build on your sector, but you can claim another one. Anyone you shared this sector with will also no longer be able to build on it (although anyone can claim it now).

/share PLAYER
Use this command to share your sector with anyone you’d like currently on the server. They must be logged in, however, to be able to build on your sector. Replace PLAYER with the name of the player you’d like to share with, or just use their # as listed by pressing tab in game. Example: /share ei8htx, or /share #5. Obviously, you must have already claimed a sector to share one.

/unshare PLAYER
Use this to unshare a sector with someone. The player must currently be online on the server. If they’re not online, a work around would be to quickly /unclaim your sector, and then reclaim it. This would make you the only owner, and all persons who were shared before will have lost their privileges.

/sector
This command tells you the coordinates of the sector you’re in, and who currently owns it, as well as anyone else the sector is shared with.

/findsector
Tells you all the sectors currently unclaimed. This may come in handy on event day!

That’s it for all the claiming commands. The build server also includes some very powerful tools from SuperCoolBuild, which you may have seen on BuildandShoot.com. You can do things like rising platforms, switches, and locking doors. Check out a more in-depth thread on these commands here:

Very important to remember: As of right now, it’s first come, first serve! When the event starts, join quick to get your sector and claim it. There are 64 sectors total (8*8), so there’s plenty to go around, but if you want a nice spot, be on time! If you just want to work on one sector with a friend or 2, you don’t all have to claim a sector. Just one of you can /claim it, and then /share with all of you.

In the meantime, you can join the build server right now and try it out. However, on the event day, the server and map will be entirely reset, so don’t get too attached to anything you may build between now and when BuildCon starts.

BuildCon has no official end time. Your creations will be around for a long time, and you can come and go in the build server as you please. So don’t worry about losing your stuff, you can come back anytime over the next days, weeks, and months. You can always join the Aloha Build server from our main page, or from BuildandShoot.com.

See you then!

Competition Info:

UPDATE: Competition ends Wednesday at 10pm GMT!

A few behind-the-scenes suggestions were made, and we’ve decided to incorporate a friendly competition into the event.

It’s pretty simple: Players can team up in a sector and build something awesome, whether it be pixel art or something more dynamic like a fortress. After 24 48 hours, I’ll take requests in this thread if you want your sector considered for the competition (please also include a list of teammates). A very simple template follows:

template

Yes, I want my sector to be entered into the BuildCon II competition!

Sector:
{put sector here, ex: A1}

Teammates:
{list of teammates (and owner) here}

Please fill this out and reply to the thread after 24 48 hours has transpired. After 24 48 hours, I’ll move these sectors to a poll where everyone can vote. The most voted sector wins, and you’ll get a shiny new award banner to place in your signature.

Everyone who’s /share’d and worked in that sector gets the award, so team up! Remember to share with only people you trust.

Good luck!

Great 8x You done it again, good work :smiley: Have a cat meme.

2012%252F12%252F04%252Fe2%252Fbreading20c.bh4.jpg%252Ffit-in__850x590.jpg

^ UGH

gj 8x

I will participate

Danko just recently added a feature to see what sectors are taken from the server status page.

Put your cursor over the grid coordinate text and it’ll tell you who owns it as well. Also, you can see who in the server can currently build where by looking at the claims column.

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

No way i can make it

How many slots will there be?

There’s no pre-signup. Just first come, first serve, whoever can get in the server when it’s reset at the event time.

There’s 64 territories you can claim, so even in a full 32/32 server, half will still be available.

I will be able to make it most likely.

Awesome.

So if someone joins, claims a sector builds for an hour, then leaves without unclaiming the sector, will the server automatically unclaim it when they leave or will it stay under their ownership?

Awesome :smiley:
I built pixel art last time.
I think it was link and mega man :smiley:

Once you’ve claimed a sector, it’s yours forever unless you unclaim it, or an admin does (which probably won’t happen too often unless they haven’t been back in ages and there’s nowhere to build).

Well, if we get a turnout like we did earlier this year, all the sectors will probably be claimed fairly quickly and I know that when the players are done with that sector they probably won’t unclaim their land for others to use when they leave.

When all the sectors are claimed I predict the admins having to do a lot of work sorting out who is still building and who got off, then free up some sectors for others.

I like the idea, it makes the event more orderly than last time (admins having to admit everyone manually).

Is there a way to set it up so that when someone hasn’t placed a block for say, 30 or 45 minutes that sector is freed from their owner’s control?

Well, the whole point is that you can come back and continue working on something for weeks on end.

Even with a full server, and assuming everyone has claimed a sector, only half (32/64) will have been filled.

It’s hard to predict what will happen. Right now our build server is barely used at all. Some time after buildcon we’ll see what’s been worked on and what hasn’t. If it does in fact fill (personally, I don’t think this’ll happen), we’ll go through and manually unclaim what hasn’t been touched since buildcon.

Again, I don’t think this will happen, but we’ll see.

The great thing about the build server, is that since it’s tied to forum logins, we can always PM a person if we’re considering an unclaim.

How is it for my name? Do I write /login Vulcan :smiley: ****************** or /login Vulcan_:smiley: *************?

/login “Vulcan :D” password
You need the quotes