Poll usefullness

So on May 14 Sarim started a Thread about resfreshing cs_maps and made a poll. I thought it was a good idea, a poll showing ppl interests. What could be better? it’s a public opinion to try and make stuff better but …

Here we can see israel showing his opinion about one of the map

on the Poll, we can see clear as day that the said map is the 2nd most hated one

Danke says no and the conversation goes on and then I see this

After seeing that I was kinda wondering if it was really the case or if it was only a Misconception from Danke. when a furom have a Poll where the community votesand show interest, shouldn’t admins be concerned about it? shouldn’t there be some changes? it’s not only 1 player, it’s 20 freaking players that voted, most of them are probably some regulars on cs_maps and I personally don’T like that map either. That’s coming from a guy that only play cs_maps. Does admins Cares or is it just Danke problem?

EDIT: I always thought that us as a community could make things change and make things better. that’s what we are trying to do with CS_Maps

Wait so what exactly is wrong with banning the entire country of Brazil, closing down all the empty servers, or unbanning any player that’s popular and has lots of friends?

Also, I think it’s pretty obvious in that poll that CsAssault was just as disliked as Cs1337Assault. The difference between the two falls into the margin of error. However, that poll is not representative of the entire aloha.pk playerbase. There are lots of people that don’t use the forums or rarely use the forums. 20 people really isn’t that large of a percentile even in our small community.

However, I do think admins should try to listen to the community a little more, but at the same time players should realize that at the end of the day the admins can do whatever they want with the server since they run the show. If they wanted to ban everyone tomorrow they could and there’s nothing you can do about it. If we all just get a little more respect for one another then things like this will get worked out maturely.

Any of those people that don’t use the forums are welcome to do so if they wanted to, they don’t. We’re the result. This is beyond the fact that I don’t like cs_assault and never have. What voice do we have if polls are useless and what voice do we have if admins have no way of gauging our opinions and interests? Is this not a community or is this just us playing on their servers? Obviously we can’t make the final decisions or else there would be anarchy and chaos but whats the middle ground here? Part of running a community is listening to the demands of the players too, not just brushing them off.

Torch, in that post, Danke litteraly Said that our opinions didn’t fucking matter

You are way overstating the usefulness of polls.
[u][b]You are way overstating the usefulness of polls.[/b][/u]

That’s exactly why i made that thread, if we speak but don’t have an ear to listen to us, what’s the fucking point? could just go on another server like CoL and it would be the same fucking thing, i chose aloha cause it was diffrent and now it doesn’t feel diffrent then all the other servers out there at all…

Think of it as republican/democrat polls before the primaries. They are there to gauge interest, but they don’t guarantee final results since they aren’t 100% accurate.

Don’t read into it too much. He just said that people were “overstating” the usefulness of polls. He’s saying that people are taking them too factually and too much as if they are final decisions like it’s a democratic vote. He didn’t say they were useless or being completely ignored.

have you read the entire refreshing cs_maps thread? It’S obvious that most of the community wants the map gone and yet Danke doesn’t do jack shit.
Even Atrain freaking sees it!

We make poll, it’s to have the community approval,if the community doesn’t like a map, IT DOESN’T MATTER IF YOU BUILT IT OR NOT they don’t like it, don’T force them to play on it…

I’d like to have other ppl opinion too, I want to see if there is only 3 persone having that feeling of not being listened.

I have to agree there. Whenever cs assault is on i leave. It’s too big with very few options.

I’m going to be on the neutral side.

Yes, the map sucks. It’s boring, has very few options and too long, since every player just camps. And a good bunch hates that map.
But at the same time, a lot of people like it, so if it will get removed, then a bunch of players will leave and play something else.

I know I’ve suggested it before, but a /votemapskip option would be great…

Um no… no one will leave and play something else just because one map was removed. If that was the case they would only play when that map was up and never any other time.

cs_assault isn’t a terrible map just that rushing isn’t an option since green spawn is a camping zone
other tactics tend to work well though
also i would like to see a /votemapskip option available though
that would be better than removing a map from circulation when a lot of players like said map
(when i play cs and its assault nobody leaves)

I am all for a map vk or at least trying it out. The current vk system doesn’t work but that’s not really a bad thing considering some of the vks. I don’t think it would be needed on babel because the rotation lasts so long but on arena it would be perfect. If your favorite map gets skipped its not the end of the world because it’ll be back in a little bit. Another alternative nobody has brought up is changing the rounds on cs_assault to 5 instead of 10 or something like that. We’d keep the map for those that enjoy it but we wouldn’t have to suffer for a hour waiting for it to end.

I also have suggested before that maps be selected via random selection with rating bias…

In game when logged in you could do /rate 1-10 (or 1-5 or whatever the script/plugin creator wants the max rating allowed to be) to cast a rating for the map. You could also allow a rating system of 0-10 if you calculate via average. If the majority of people absolutely hate the map then the average would end up being something like .03814. This would in essence disable the map if you have the script round. If the script doesn’t round then it would just have an extremely low chance of being picked which would coincide with people’s opinions of the map.

Each rating point adds entries to the lottery for when a new map is selected. You could do it directly or via average of player votes. You could also have ratings expire every 6 months (the creator could change this time period as well) or so to cater to the fact that player’s tastes will change over time and old players will leave and new players will join.

It’s really needed on “all maps”…

Excellent idea! I think 5 would be long enough for the players that really like the map, but short enough for those that hate it.

agreed 100%

In game when logged in you could do /rate 1-10 (or 1-5 or whatever the script/plugin creator wants the max rating allowed to be) to cast a rating for the map. You could also allow a rating system of 0-10 if you calculate via average. If the majority of people absolutely hate the map then the average would end up being something like .03814. This would in essence disable the map if you have the script round. If the script doesn't round then it would just have an extremely low chance of being picked which would coincide with people's opinions of the map.
the rating thing wont work well imo,a lot of players simply wont bother to rate maps when they dont need to and only few will this will probably have the staff ignore most of the players unless they make it compulsory which they probably wont also people will only rate maps they despise

having 5 rounds on assault seem interesting

The only problem with a ranking system is getting people outside the forums to understand whats going on and even then there is the language barrier to worry about. I think there would be a few Brazilians that might try trolling the system too.

It would work perfectly actually. If people only vote when they hate maps then the maps that are really really really despised get removed. Those who don’t care enough to rate maps won’t care what maps are selected, so everyone is happy.

It’s really quite easy. I’ve seen it in action on PvP minecraft servers. They use a popup after every match, but you can very easily have a broadcast in chat after all but one cap has been made (right before the end of the game) that says “Like the map? Hate the map? Log in and then rate it using /rate. You can rate from 0-10” The ratings would expire every 6 months or whatever time you defined so even if they did troll it won’t make that much of a difference in the long run and also ratings would be thrown out if you were banned which would throw out basically 99% of Brazil’s votes. ::slight_smile:

But couldn’t they just change their IP a few times and vote over and over and over? Idk how that stuff works but Ive seen hackers come back in less than 20 seconds over and over before so…

They would have to create multiple accounts on Aloha then. Like I said, you’d have to be logged in for it to work. And really not that many people would put that much effort into trolling. Sure some will, but if it’s too much effort people will just give up. Think of the giant maps with lots of structures on Babel like that maze hill map. No one is going to grief the entire map since that takes too much time and effort, but they will grief a few easy to destroy structures on like Bin Laden Compound.

Why rate the map in-game? Cant we just make a new thread where we could rate each CS map and share our opinions? That would be much easier.

the point is flerikko most aloha players dont use forums that much to know that they can rate maps and most of them wont if they dont need to