[POLL] Remove Crossfire2 from babel's rotation?

Hi! I’m topo and this is a poll! :open_mouth:

Are you sick of crossfire2? It’s this map, if the name isn’t immediately familiar:

Personally, I absolutely loathe it. It’s the antimap. If you can get into a good position or rush the enemy spawn as a group, the water makes it ridiculously easy to spawnkill an entire team. Towers are near impossible to keep up for any significant span of time, and once they go down people generally stop even attempting to build until the server’s numbers drop. It’s not a good babel map.

If it turns out most/all of the babel players here share my opinion, it would be my honor to do the deed and nuke the map (or at least any reference to it in the server config) into oblivion.

Stop this madness.

Idk, I like it (kinda). It could use some improvements. A lot of the water is irritating as hell, the land color kinda looks like vomit or something, but I think with some minor fixes it’d be fine.

It does force you to build a solid tower which I think is good. We need quick maps and long maps.

I agree with ei8htx on modifying the map because spawning in water is annoying as hell. However, if any map should be removed it should be the one with the huge mansion in the middle right under the babel. On the map the grass looks like shit, there are like 6 trees they’re ugly as shit and completely useless, and the house deters anyone from making a tower or staircase.

If anything remove the shitty map, what ever it’s name is.

Edit: Old Villa, the shit hole is called Old Villa.

The map is okay, but imo makes it easy to destroy even a strong tower. The last time I played this map it was pretty easy for either team to shoot down a tower or spawn camp.

I think the water in the spawn area is pretty much useless and sucks when you spawn in it.

It isn’t my favorite map but I do sometimes enjoy playing on it.

It’s mainly a long match because of the way you can dig your way to enemy base and destroy their tower. Each match I played, each team had to make at least 3-4 different towers. I’ve only played Old Villa once but from my experience I didn’t like it.

Also not a big fan of old villa. Also I’ve noticed that some of the new maps have the tent spawning on top of a tree.

The map is outdated and would need renovation to become relevant again, but some of the downsides are not as bad as you think and in its current state could be better defended.
The water at spawn would obviously have to go, such a pain and time is usually taken to slab it off but it can be griefed as well.
The tunnelling to the tower can be counterdefensed by digging out the mounds on each side of the middle to reveal moles.*(the middle mounds on your own teams sides, grids 4 & 5 i believe, not the far edges of the map).
Even with these changes, I wouldn’t mind suggesting an early retirement for this map to make room for more new maps.

Fresh maps make the game new and fun again, causing you to think about new strategies as opposed to falling into the same old tendencies when an old familiar map comes up.
It would be interesting to see if we could try some non-babel maps occasionally as well to see if they would be a good fit, as an experiment.

I don’t like it either.

As someone who primarily plays babel: I don’t mind crossfire2 as a map.

Perhaps the frustrations may be subjective to the ability of the players on both teams? Competent players are always a factor and make a huge difference in any game, especially when a majority, if not, all of them are on one team.

If I were to note anything, it is quite small and restricted at some points, and as far as people having to constantly rebuild: it is also a blessing in disguise, as it allows a team who’s far behind to make a clutch comeback by destroying the opponent’s tower and buying more building time for teammates.

cough now mazemountain on the other hand… :o

Don’t be hating on mazemountain! Once the map begins, and you make a beeline for the enemy team’s tower area and start digging it out, the fun never stops.
…at least, it doesn’t stop until someone on the enemy team finally notices what you’re doing after you wreck the front of their towering area.

Haha, anyhow… crossfire2 isn’t all that bad, in my experience with it. As long as you have a team building a tower that’s actually able to stand and is able to defend the tower adequately, it can last for quite a while. When you have players building one-block-thick staircases without supports and then camping in nonsensical locations, then your team is essentially throwing the match on that map. Only thing that really bugs me about the map itself is, as some people have mentioned before, the whole spawning-in-damaging-water deal. It doesn’t seem to really…add much of anything, it feels like. I wouldn’t mind seeing it tweaked or modified slightly like the island map was.

(Wouldn’t mind seeing that map with the castle at the middle…Alexandria, I think, edited so that the tent doesn’t spawn on a tree and players don’t spawn on trees or the mansion rooftops by their spawns, either.)

On the topic of Old Villa, I think it’s an interesting change of pace, at the very least, to see players using the mansion at the map’s center to reach the intel platform. As a result though, like Thufman mentioned, I don’t think I’ve ever seen players building a tower up to the intel. Not sure if that’s quite a bad thing, though.
Unrelated to towers - I get weird bugs in Old Villa where I won’t be able to dig or tunnel around certain blocks by the enemy team’s area, for some reason. I recall an instance or two when I was blue where, even after repeat respawns, I couldn’t break a tree on green’s half of the map. Maybe it’s just me, though.

On oldvilla both teams try to make a tower on the structure in the middle, which makes no sense because both teams can easily use it. Also I’ve seen people try to grief the structure in the middle to.

I’ve noticed that in oldvilla and the map with the mansion and castle that the tent spawns on a tall tree.

Also crossfire2 could be a better map if it was slightly tweaked a little bit.

Most players try to build an easy/fast tower by just right clicking and dragging without no thought of a firm foundation/base. Also in crossfire2 I have seen multiple members of one team equip with smg flank both sides at the edges.

As a builder i like this map, not my favorite but i like it.

but feel free to remove these maps: :wink:

pinpoint2
oldvillla
Mazemountain

Yes, I hate masemountain and pinpoint2 was just not made for babel.

I agree that oldvilla should go bye bye

Oldvilla is the only map I see even having the possibility of being removed.
All the others mentioned here are plenty popular and well liked.

liar crossfire2 is awful and it rigged the poll

oldvilla is worst than crossfire2 IMO.

Crossfire2 could be better if edited a little. Get rid of the water in spawn. also maybe fill in the water in the middle by getting rid of the middle side passageways.

Get rid of Maze Mountain, Old Villa, 1river2forts and Crossfire.

Legit the worst maps for Babel.

Not sure maze mountain should be removed. It’s a pretty good map.