Babel Maps

Voting scripts have been proposed countless times by countless people. I just don’t think they are into it, since it might lead to people selecting the same few maps over and over again.

They probably got a screenshot of GE and used the Pyspades map editor to put it in, then built on top of the map to make mountains, etc.

I’ve seemed to miss a lot of this, and I’m still technically on my break, but I want to give in some input. I dislike the voting idea because as road said, it’s garbage in 1.x. And about that automatic Babel stuff making the towers grow // the platform lower, we need to scrap that because that would change the game a lot and bring the point of building a sturdy tower away and teams might be like “eh, just wait and get kills, then our tower will grow”. About having the Babel lower, that makes getting there a lot less rewarding because it basically was forced to lower to keep the maps rotating.

I have a question, is map rotation shuffled? Sometimes I notice a constant pattern of one map to another map repetitively and it gets boring because I don’t like always playing on certain maps when I usually go on.

It would be nice to add a ton of new maps though, and get rid of flat ones without a hill like someone said before like Icecraft because those make the game much less fun. My addition to this would be to add weird maps that are good for Babel – weird along the lines of being different but not really shitty (looks at Cateye).

Also, happy Canada Day to all of my fellow Canadian AoS friends. ^-^

I kinda agree.
Also, happy Canada 24 Hours to you too. Even though I don’t celebrate it. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m very glad that my post garnered so much attention in the span of a day.

To the original point, mappers can solve most of the problems being discussed because they have an ear to the floor; they know what others want, and are often immensely creative in designing maps that are both new, interesting, and satisfying for the majority of players.

Instead of making complex adjustments to babel - whose appeal is its rather simple game-mode with a single objective - simply allow for people to mold it how they would like.

Further, after we implement “mapetitions” for babel, we can naturally expand to other servers (aloha.pk and then, perhaps, others). If we want to return to the ideal of years past - when dozens of servers catering to a variety of desires were constantly full - we can start to broaden organically, and the easiest way to begin (i.e. garner community attention and effort) is via map-making, where anyone can make improvements to servers. Such things fostered a spirit of community in the past, and it would not hurt to do so again!

Kudos to izzy and danke for getting involved in the discussion: administrator attention is what we need to make this work!

imo the real question is when are we getting binladencompound updated

Click for details

http://i.imgur.com/GGM4lPl.png

a simple idea as, i think, someone has mentioned before, would be to double the current rotation using the same maps in the same or slightly different order and then replace similar, long or less popular maps with a fitting counterpart, e.g. switch between maps like battlefarm/battlewarm128, swag1/swag2, binladencompound/remus in the first and second part of the rotation, while the more popular maps like elipsis or newfort appear twice in the rotation.

Some maps i think are/were/might be good:

• crossfire3 (griefing was a bit annoying there though)
  • toast
  • random (sometimes a bit unfair for one side but it was still nice to have a gen map on)
  • encampement
  • pincushion (yeah, i like long maps^^ griefers are also a problem here sadly)
  • PADesert (maybe an alternative to binladencompound?)
  • trb (very old map, should have more building oriented gameplay as there is lots of water)
  • Islandpassage (similar to Island, short map if boundary damage is added)
  • mazemountain (was very challenging sometimes but im actually missing this one)
  • or at least another maze map maybe (mazehills was alright, another one was also fun, looking at the map stats it
    might’ve been “ruins”)
  • gobi (maybe an alternative to spitfire)
  • pinpoint2 (with boundary damage)
  • battlefarm 128 (could be put into the rotation alternating with the regular battlefarm)
  • goldbeach
  • mirage (in alternation with halongbabel maybe)
  • jungletest (i made a complete map of this, but this one is suited much better for babel since its very small)
  • another turv
  • standoff (i remember call of liberty having this one, seemed alright for babel and therefore very builder friendly)
  • probably a whole lot of other maps by Danke which i haven’t even seen or dont remember

another idea that comes to my mind is adding the bigblock script (http://www.buildandshoot.com/download/file.php?id=2339) to build 2x2 blocks to finish a few harder babel maps more quickly. A_girl used to have a server with this andgoonaussault and bigasssideforts on it, which was fun (the script would need to be modified to only activate based on the extensions of certain maps first).

also, here’s a new map idea which is designed for players to pass through the maps boundary to the other side. You cant see the other players until you switched sides (which might actually be an interesting gameplay mechanic if used on a different kind of map). It’s a bit laggy to get on the other side, but this type of map would allow higher structures in the middle between both teams spawns to be placed as there is no heaven platform there as well as a building zone close to the platform while the enemy needs to run a long way to get close to your spawn (this script would also need to be modified so it is only enabled when the maps .txt files extension says so). Dropbox - Error

EDIT: regarding the creation of future maps, i am probably not going to do a whole lot more, but if there is interest from potential mappers, i can post a collection of tutorials and tools that are useful when making maps.

:frowning:

aloha.pk has a solid anti-grief system put in place it seems. It would be nice if votekicks were less demanding of voters, because I honestly never see any of them work unless there’s a really obvious hacker (which is usually just banned manually by an admin). Although there are votekick abusers, I think that having instead of 15 players from each team, it would have some sort of algorithm which would detect which team the person being accused of is on, and would make it so if a certain number of votes from the opposing team were to be put in (say for example, a hacker was on red and 7 people on blue and 3 people on red voted yes) then the person being votekicked should get kicked without needing the 15, because a big amount of people on the opposing team (who are vulnerable to aimbot from the hacker) would vote yes. If the script were to detect if someone was being votekicked because of griefing, then maybe it would instead have the lesser-amount of votes needed to kick go on the team that has the griefer.

It’s hard to explain, and I’m not sure if it’s the best idea because it can be still abused, but it seems better than the current votekick system we have now - it’s just really advanced and there is some math involved.

Also:

Lostmotel, we love your maps! ;3;

@kunnikal
the really good players who arent trusted cough jigsawcough usually dont get kicked for the same accusations like aimbot and stuff(im serious once there where like 4 votes left),
because of the way the current votekick system works
also the people who benefit from said hacker never vote so although the votekick system doesnt always work, its not getting abused as much as it can i.e, people dont get kicked for false reason unless there are like 6 people in the server
while the no of votes required is annoying there is also the fact that trolls dont do false vks successfully

also regarding griefers didnt minit have a script that forced people to get 15 kills before being able to break blocks…cant you guys add said script too?

no because babel and assault are two completely different things when it comes to building
also the anti-grief scripts that are already in place make this redundant

That’s true. But I still think the current vk system needs to be tweaked, because it barely ever goes through.

Now that we have this list of possible maps could we weed out the long, boring, and bad maps to hopefully replace with fun, fast paced, and good maps?
The problem is no one will agree on what are the long, boring, and bad maps and what are the fun, fast paced, and good maps.
today when i was on babel people were complaining that some of the maps were shitty. someone in particular didn't like binladencompound and i agree that map is a little slow for babel. maybe we could have like a vote or something on maps and figure out what everyone likes and what maps work. it kinda sucks to be constrained to a map that you don't want to play for an extended period of time.
That was me complaining! ^_^
If transformice did the trick, AoS can do too.

9itede.jpg

Octopus, I hate hAtE HATE it.

It’s the map with the Huge circular bunker in the centre, right?
If so, i have a love/hate relation with that map:/

Yeah and there are those side hills your team never defends so when you try to take the middle hill to save yourself from being spawn camped you get hit from either or both sides. Building a tower is out of the question if you don’t have a op team and that’s the only way the map ever progresses.

I don’t play Babel anymore because of time commitment but it is absolutely one of the best gameplay I’ve ever seen (and skilled players).
With deep strategy, team efforts, and architecture.

If you want faster gameplay, one simple thing could be to bump the blocks people hold to 100.
As a builder, a large majority of the time is spent refilling to the tent, and having more blocks could enable perhaps less linear design where the distance to the tent doesn’t need to be minimized as much (aka stairs-only).

When I had an (unpopulated) babel server I used grenade-teleport too, this makes attacks much more creative. Something that could be earned with streak like rampage?

What I liked too was a server with perma-towers. You would build very solidly so that it lasts 10 games (this server had fucking /squads), but it could be boring too. Maybe randomly keeps the same map? (like, 1 time out of 8?)

Other than that, this gamemode is pretty much perfect.