[event] Aloha.pk Halloween Buildcon 2014

Voting:http://aloha.pk/index.php?topic=5892
Submissions CLOSED

It’s that time of the year again. Halloween is near and we at aloha.pk have a massive and spooktacular
event planned for you. It’s time to put your creative and haunting skills to the test and become the best
builder for the 2014 Halloween buildcon.

times worldwide

Event start

Submission deadline

[tr]
[td]Date:[/td][td]October 31- November 2[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Time:[/td][td]The event will officially start on Friday October 31 at 11 pm GMT [/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Server: [/td][td]http://aos075.aloha.pk:11074[/td]
[/tr]

Mumble Info

Mumble can be downloaded here:
http://www.mumble.com/

Download the client software on the right side of the screen. Installation is pretty simple, as there’s a wizard when you first start the application to help you set up your mic and audio.

I highly recommend using a button to activate it, rather than having your mic turn on automatically when it picks up noise. This is especially true for laptop users or those using a webcam w/ mic. You’ll have this option towards the end of the wizard (my push-to-talk is set to mouse button 5, your scroll button (click, not scroll) is also free in aos for you 3 button mouse owners).

If you choose to do push-to-talk, keep your threshold rather low (so that it’s easier to pick up sounds), this means your blue part of the meter should be small. If instead you are using auto-detect, be sure to keep your threshold toward the high end, or else the rest of us will pick up your game and background noise, which can get quite irritating, especially with 16 people.

Once you’ve setup your microphone, click the picture of the world icon. Then click “Add New” and enter the following:

Label: Aloha
Address: Mumble.aloha.pk
Port: 64738 (unchanged)
Username: Your username. Please stick to your most common username, as after you register, you’ll never get to change it.

For more detailed mumble setup information, check out this post here: http://aloha.pk/index.php?topic=3721.msg34375#msg34375

Once you’re connected, double click on Aloha to put you in that channel. On the event day there will be channels for Blue and Green team.

[details=map]

@Danko thanks for changing the colors[/details]

build server

The map is divided into grid sectors:

Grid Sector Image

http://i.imgur.com/E4sS8eT.png

You can see these on the map by pressing “m” (“n” in OpenSpades). You can go to any sector and claim it, which means only you can build on it. Additionally, you can share this sector with your friends, and they’ll be able to build on it any time they like, even if you’re not around. In this way, you can work together on a project without worrying about someone griefing it when you’re gone.

From the server status page, you can see what sectors are claimed, and who currently in the server has permission to build where. Put your cursor over the coordinates and it’ll tell you who owns that sector.

Now, in order to claim a sector, you must login. Anyone with a forum account can build: it’s done automatically when you registered on our forums here on Aloha.pk. If you haven’t registered yet, do so now! There’s no need to apply for trusted or anything like that. Just having a forum account is all you need. When on the server, you simply use:

/login forumname password
or
/login “my forum name” password

Where forumname is the exact spelling of your forum name here, and your password is the same as well (you can change your in-game password to be different from your forum password under profile > modify profile if you’d like). If your name has spaces in it, just wrap it in “quotation marks”. Example: /login “o hai there” mypass

Once logged in, you’ll have access to the following commands:

/claim
This allows you to claim a sector as your own, if it hasn’t been claimed by someone already. You can only claim ONE sector at a time.

/unclaim
This removes your claim. You’ll no longer be able to build on your sector, but you can claim another one. Anyone you shared this sector with will also no longer be able to build on it (although anyone can claim it now).

/share PLAYER
Use this command to share your sector with anyone you’d like currently on the server. They must be logged in, however, to be able to build on your sector. Replace PLAYER with the name of the player you’d like to share with, or just use their # as listed by pressing tab in game. Example: /share ei8htx, or /share #5. Obviously, you must have already claimed a sector to share one.

/unshare PLAYER
Use this to unshare a sector with someone. The player must currently be online on the server. If they’re not online, a work around would be to quickly /unclaim your sector, and then reclaim it. This would make you the only owner, and all persons who were shared before will have lost their privileges.

/sector
This command tells you the coordinates of the sector you’re in, and who currently owns it, as well as anyone else the sector is shared with.

/findsector
Tells you all the sectors currently unclaimed. This may come in handy on event day!

That’s it for all the claiming commands. The build server also includes some very powerful tools from SuperCoolBuild, which you may have seen on BuildandShoot.com. You can do things like rising platforms, switches, and locking doors. Check out a more in-depth thread on these commands here:

http://aloha.pk/index.php?topic=3571.0

Very important to remember: It’s first come, first serve! When the event starts, join quick to get your sector and claim it. There are 64 sectors total (8*8), so there’s plenty to go around, but if you want a nice spot, be on time! If you just want to work on one sector with a friend or 2, you don’t all have to claim a sector. Just one of you can /claim it, and then /share with all of you.

A competition will be held for this buildcon and there will be prizes for the best builds.
If you would like to submit your build for the competition please private message me (shywolf91)
before November 6 2014 at 8 AM GMT. Entries will not be approved if received later than then
November 6 at 8 AM GMT.

Prizes:

• 1st place: Killing floor: Save 75% on Killing Floor on Steam (rated M) + special banner (sent via steam)
  • 2nd place: Choose December FSOM game mode + Special Banner
  • 3rd place: special banner

Only one person in each prize tier will win a prize.

Rules:

• Submission deadline: November 6 by 8 AM GMT

• Only the sector owner will win a prize.

• Voting begins Friday November 7 2014 and will last a week

• The top three voted sectors will win.

• Theme: building something Halloween related is not mandatory, but is highly encouraged.

• Cheating, hacking, and rude behavior of any kind will not be tolerated and may result in a ban.

A separate thread will be made for the competition/voting after the event is over. Please do not forget to send in your submissions and have a fun Halloween.

Please pm me (shywolf91) if you want to submit your creation using the following template:

template

Yes, I want my sector to be entered into the Halloween Buildcon 2014 competition!

Sector:
{put sector here, ex: A1}

Screenshot:
{optional. post a link to your screenshot}

The event is first come first served so don’t be late.

[details=credits]

@ferrariflunker for the main buildcon logo

@Danko for the modified map

@shywolf91 for organizing and preparing the buildcon event[/details]

We hope you enjoy this halloween event

facebook-icon.gif

xw89Piq.gif

reserved

[details=prize]I have the prize in my gift inventory and can send it to any steam account the winner asks me to.

As for 2nd place the game mode must be a game mode we have access to and can easily do.
(I.e. If it needs to be created or modified we probably can’t do it)[/details]

server

Server will be made soon

spooktacular!

ooh exciting, as long as I get my coursework done I should be able to do this :stuck_out_tongue:

I hate build events… Well,im gonna be in this game =)

Contact me =

BuildandShoot.com: Sanic_Hegehog (once a week)

Mumble: Sanic_Hegehog (on events)

E-mail: sanic.hegehog@ya.ru (almost everytime)

Please contact me! Im lonely! ( ;-:wink:

gonna participate, not because I want to win something, i just want to try something different out :smiley:

Murphy’s Law has attacked me viciously by crashing my computer for possibly weeks, can’t join now. But whoever wins 2nd place please do a zombies based fsom.

FTFY

Do a Free For All FSOM, and the top people with kills, and highest ratios should get prizes.

i am not kind of good a pixel arts butt imma to it IGN:Ben Drowned (yeh i love that Creepy pasta)

2spooky4me:
Spooky Scracy Skeletons:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2rwxs1gH9w
Zomboy-Organ Donor:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrFzQAU6s-U

great job on this post - logo is a refreshing change and looks good, Ferrari. thanks for organizing the event, shywolf. i’m excited to witness the build progress over the weekend!

Count me in. If you get first place, can you tell them to gift it to another person?

I have the prize in my gift inventory and can send it to any steam account the winner asks me to.

As for 2nd place the game mode must be a game mode we have access to and can easily do.
(I.e. If it needs to be created or modified we probably can’t do it)

If I get 1st place (which I doubt) would it be possible to switch the prize with the one in 2nd place? I don’t want the game, and ability to choose next fsom is op.
With that said, is it too late to sign up? :stuck_out_tongue:

there isn’t a sign up its first come first served.

The server will be made available at event start (11pm gmt)

We can’t even reserve a sector?

Most of them will be taken by the time I’m able to get on.

people shouldn’t be claiming sectors right now. The server will be released to the public at 11 pm gmt

the event has started now. claim away!

event started