Windows 8 lag fix!

If you are experiencing lag when playing AoS in fullscreen with win8, check this fix made by topo (Windows 8 + Voxlap FPS fix - Build and Shoot):

----------------------------------------------------------------------Original Topic by topo--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers]
"C:\\Path\\To\\AoS\\client.exe" = "$ DWM8And16BitMitigation Layer_ForceDirectDrawEmulation"

Save that as xyz.reg and run it. Works for whatever version, will work for several versions simultaneously (you only have to run it once per version - just make sure you get the path right and use the double bars \, and don't forget the blank line).
For example, the path for me was "C:\Users\Myself\AppData\Roaming\Build and Shoot\Game Installations\0.75\client.exe"

If there is a security configuration in your computer, you may need to do those steps manually by going to the "regedit" (you can search it in your win8/win10 search bar), navigate to the following address HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers and add the following string values:
C:\Path\To\AoS\client.exe
$ DWM8And16BitMitigation Layer_ForceDirectDrawEmulation

If you play fullscreen, you'll probably experience screen flickering.  So here's another fix. It doesn't require the original fix to run. It does prevent you from alt-tabbing out of aos (sorry). If you use a higher resolution you might have some fps issues while zoomed.

Download this file and extract it into your ace of spades directory.

ddrawfix.zip (942 KB)

nice tip :slight_smile:

You can also, just do the regedit thing, because the screen just flickers if there is another window behind it.

are there any windows without problems ? :slight_smile:

I discovered another fix to this, just minimize all the screens you have open, so the background will be your desktop. In this way, the screen won’t flick.
And if you don’t manage to get that registry run, you can add it manually by open the regedit, following the path, and creating a new registry in the directory [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers].