Server Status: Quick check up

So on the global list, I noticed that some of our servers are up, including Hallway, Babel, Zombie, and Arena.
The rest however, are down: Pinpoint, Babel 2, iRPG, to name a few.

Although I’m not getting kicked 3-5 mintues into the server, the ping stability has been somewhat questionable.

So…
What’s up, izzy?
Do you have some insight into why our serverhost’s not giving us service?

I messaged him relatively the same question.

we’ve been getting hit by ddos attacks. it was so bad on Friday the data center had to null route us which is basically the same as pulling the plug. i thought we were in the clear today but then it happened again. i am in contact with our provider, this problem is only temporary.

^We specifically, or “we” as in the serverhost?

us specifically :frowning:

Its those goonhaven fellows. I was always suspicious of em >:(

nah, not goon haven. it is likely someone from the AoS community though.

I figured something like this was up, hmm I wonder who is doing it.

Someone we banned? A competing group of servers? Anus? It could be anyone!

http://chzjustcapshunz.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/funny-captions-he-did-it.jpg

Can’t you track the person down by the last ip addresses that were in the servers before they went down. That way, you can at least narrow down the possibilities of who was the suspect and eliminate the trusted players as suspects.

any ETA of when server might get back up ??? 1 day? 1 week? etc… and if theres anything i can do let me know

What is a DDoS attack? Distributed Denial-of-Service attacks explained
The CERT Division | Software Engineering Institute

and yes there is anti ddos software out there the data center should be already equipped with this

Heh, it’s a DDoS. The only options out are switching servers or getting the crapflooders to stop.
The first option is infeasible…
The second option essentially forces us to wait it out, at the crapflooders’ whim.

CONSPIRACY: izzy, might it possibly be our original serverhost displeased with us changing hosts?

We can track where the attackers IP but it takes lots of time.

rctf hallway is down too. :’( please get it back quickly. its my favorite server

Not really, all we have to do is check to see what the last ip addresses were and that’s if the server is not “bricked” from the ddos attack.

you’re oversimplifying the problem. the DDoS’er doesn’t have to play AoS or even go on any of the forums so tracing IPs is unnecessary and time consuming. DDoS attacks if you don’t know are usually caused by a swarm of “zombie” computers which are computers that have been infected and are being used to send packets to cause a directed denial of service or a DDoS. it’s likely that no one could be using those computers and the host of those computers can be completely unaware that their computers are being used as “zombies”

To add to the problem, a hacker who can pull off a DDoS no doubt also knows how to spoof IPs…

you're oversimplifying the problem. the DDoS'er doesn't have to play AoS or even go on any of the forums so tracing IPs is unnecessary and time consuming. DDoS attacks if you don't know are usually caused by a swarm of "zombie" computers which are computers that have been infected and are being used to send packets to cause a directed denial of service or a DDoS. it's likely that no one could be using those computers and the host of those computers can be completely unaware that their computers are being used as "zombies"
You're right but izzy said that might be someone from the aos community. And I think ddos attacks using zombie computers are usuall used by people who want to take down major websites such as dell or yahoo.

Someone must have a really serious problem to go through that much trouble of using a zombie computer and spoof ip addresses to hack aloha servers, and not a major website. Besides, shouldn’t the server s be equipped with a program to prevent ddos attacks?

I’m pretty sure it wasn’t anyone from Minit, Sham’s, or Goon Haven or anything like that. It was probably someone who got permabanned or GBL’d and got butthurt.